Violent Protest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Violent Protest

Does any rational person think that the violent car burnings in Toronto accomplish anything other than give some idiots some rush from being senselessly violent and destructive?

I know that I intentionally will tune out anyone in canada that feels that they need violence to get their message across. I simply will not listen as I do not want to condone the violence and destruction or give those perpetrators a wider audience. Does anyone think that violent protest is in any way effective?

Isn't there a lot of irony in professed environmental protestors lighting a car on fire thereby triggering some toxic smoke and also the need for unneeded consumption in the building of a a replacement for the destroyed car. Isn't it also ironic that many dollars will go into protecting people and property from these protests and these dollars could have ( I am not saying would have) been employed in assisting some of the various causes.

Lastly isn't it possible and even likely that the violence leads to less people hearing the true message of some of the legitimate protesters?
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

I think that arguing that the world's 20 biggest economies are obviously doing it all wrong just means you are ignoring substantial empirical evidence (that they managed to become the 20 biggest), and burning cars won't help your case that you aren't an ignorant fool (at least to me).
    If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
    ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I suspect those that burned the cars aren't actually environmental protesters, just asses that used the event to be asses.
      Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will, as it did Obi Wan's apprentice.

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
        I think that arguing that the world's 20 biggest economies are obviously doing it all wrong just means you are ignoring substantial empirical evidence (that they managed to become the 20 biggest), and burning cars won't help your case that you aren't an ignorant fool (at least to me).
        I'm not defending them at all, but I fear you're missing their point. They hate that those economies are so large. They don't think it's a good thing.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Not that I agree with the protests, but if you want to go that route... Do you think that spending $1b on security serves any other purpose than to give bald impotent armchair generals a bloodrush in the penis?
          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Garth Vader View Post
            I suspect those that burned the cars aren't actually environmental protesters, just asses that used the event to be asses.
            For the most part, I agree that this is likely the case although I would also not be surprised if some of the asshats doing this stuff would also proclaim that they have some sort of cause
            You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

It's similar to football hooligans (fortunately a dying breed) - many don't care what happens on the pitch, and only travel for the fighting.

If they really want to travel and fight then strolling round the centre of Glasgow with "All Scotsmen are gay" t-shirts could be a nice alternative for them.

Comment

I prefer violent protesters, but only in the sense that I dislike all protesters and once they start smashing stuff the police have an excuse to break out the tear gas.

I'm really not entirely convinced that any protest is effective these days. Certainly not the G20 ones.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

(random threadjack thought)

Doritos Mr. Dragon's Fire Chips are awesome.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    I'm really not entirely convinced that any protest is effective these days. Certainly not the G20 ones.
                    Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                      (random threadjack thought)

Doritos Mr. Dragon's Fire Chips are awesome.
                      That was pathetic. From out of the blue, some random freak remark.
                      Don't you need to be working on your homemade Lincoln mannequin?

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I hope the Canadians throw the book at the hundreds they arrested. Sadly, that will probably mean a small fine and a tongue lashing, or maybe just a tongue lashing. If it were me, I would have contracted the Israelis to provide security and the Chinese to provide justice
                        Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
                        Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've never been able to discern any coherent position or cohesive message from the G8/G20/etc protesters. They fail. And they know they fail. Yet they continue. I can only assume they need an outlet for their anger. But at least it's something the host cities can plan for.

Or maybe I'm just hopelessly naive and ill-informed. I probably read the the wrong websites...
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Kittehs watched and learned about how to protest.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

yes to all of your questions

the best way to react to political violence is pay no attention at all to the "protestors" if the police handles them

Comment

Working...
                              X