Clear All

It was built deliberately.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I assumed so.
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

@KH Evergreens do rather nicely in cold climates, and their color would go naturally with the red in those bricks(?).
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Usually people landscape with a mix of evergreens and maple.

Maple looks quite nice from April to Oct/Nov
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
            I assumed so.
            I had to ask when I first saw it.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Red maple is nice. Silver maple has too much trash. Is it Bradford Pear that are green all year?
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Another thought: How well would creeping vines do in Mont's climate? I'm talking the kinds that enjoy growing all over the sides of buildings. I can see some decids in there without their leaves, one pine tree (like I said, they're happy in winter and look good with the building), and my eyes can't easily make out what's going on in the space between the street and the building proper. Is that the winter mix of Grass-sidewalk-dirty snow?
                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Huge, unmitigated NAY. Brutalism is an offense against human feeling.
                  I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs View Post
                    Another thought: How well would creeping vines do in Mont's climate? I'm talking the kinds that enjoy growing all over the sides of buildings. I can see some decids in there without their leaves, one pine tree (like I said, they're happy in winter and look good with the building), and my eyes can't easily make out what's going on in the space between the street and the building proper. Is that the winter mix of Grass-sidewalk-dirty snow?
                    AFAIK, no vines are possible.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                      It looks like a mobile home park after a tornado.
                      So it's modeled on Galveston, Texas?
                      If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                      ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Here's an example of brutalism in Washington, D.C. Third Church of Christ Scientist. The Christian Scientists have wanted to tear this damn thing down for years.

The problem with obliterating these abominations is that you have a number of people on architectural boards who will fight for keeping examples of notable architecture styles, even if the building is an abomination.
                        Attached Files
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

On second thought, it's not a totally unmitigated NAY. There is one example of brutalist architecture in Washington that I like -- Metrorail.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                            It was built deliberately.

Pity. It would have been inpressive if someone had dropped a load of concrete, steel and glass, and it all just fell into an assembled building.
                            The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Not particularly miraculous. We just kept trying until it worked....
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Hauldren Collider View Post
                                So it's modeled on Galveston, Texas?
                                That would be a hurricane; but yes, a hurricane would work.

Comment

Working...
                                X