Suffer brain damage - turn Irish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suffer brain damage - turn Irish

KENT BRIDGE, Ont. - As she stepped out with her horse Malachi on a routine ride around her farm in July 2008, Sharon Campbell-Rayment forgot to swap her cowboy hat for a riding helmet. When the horse spooked and Ms. Campbell-Rayment's head hit the ground, she suffered right occipital lobe damage. She sat up and fell over again, this time damaging her left frontal lobe.

For days, she couldn't speak at all, and when she eventually did, she stuttered uncontrollably. As she regained her powers of speech, she gained something completely unexpected-- a foreign accent.

"I started to talk with a wee accent," she says in an Irish lilt blended with a Scottish brogue. Along with the rolled r's, dropped g's, longer a's and softer s's, new words crept into her vocabulary. Her speech is peppered with "grand," "brilliant" and "wee" -- words she never used before the accident -- and as she stops to collect her thoughts, she punctuates the pauses with "em" instead of "um."

Ms. Campbell-Rayment's condition is known as foreign accent syndrome, one of only about 60 brain-damaged people worldwide who have been diagnosed with it. In the only other recorded Canadian case, Rose Dore, a woman who had spent her entire life in Southern Ontario, awoke from a stroke speaking with what sounded like a Newfoundland accent.

Alex Sevigny, associate professor of communication at McMaster University in Hamilton, co-authored a study of Ms. Dore's condition. He says normal speech is regulated by the brain's neurons, which control movement of the mouth, tongue and lips. When the brain suffers trauma, the damaged neurons control those motions differently, resulting in what sounds like an accent.

But Mr. Sevigny emphasizes that the accents aren't authentic. "It's not that you actually speak with a new accent; you speak with something that sounds an awful lot like a new accent," he said.

The condition may last a lifetime, fade away slowly through speech therapy, or disappear as quickly as it appears. Though Ms. Campbell-Rayment's ancestry is Scottish, Ms. Sevigny says patients need not have any connection to the accent's originating country.

Ms. Campbell-Rayment, 47, didn't even notice her accent at first, and was surprised when her sister pointed it out while they were talking on the phone. "I was a bit aghast, to be truthful," she said of the moment she heard her voice on a recording.

Her friends and family have adapted to the new cadences, and her two daughters think it's all "a wee bit funny," she says.

But there's a darker side to her new life, too. Before the accident, Ms. Campbell-Rayment had just finished her masters in divinity, was working full-time as a pastor at three local churches, running camps and riding lessons at her farm, and raising two daughters. She is now unable to preach or teach and spends much of her time in a quiet, darkened room in her home.

But she says in many ways her brain injury was a blessing.

"I really don't want to go back to the person I was. I was mad crazy, all over the place, morning till night. I'd breeze in to see my kids and breeze out to a meeting. I like who I've become, actually. I kind of honour the person I've become now."

Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. National Post offers information on latest national and international events & more.

How unfortunate.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Between 1941 and 2009 there have been sixty recorded cases
    To the untrained ear, those with the syndrome sound as though they speak their native languages with a foreign accent; for example, an American native speaker of English might sound as though they speak with a south-eastern English accent, or a native British speaker might speak with a New York American accent. However, researchers at Oxford University have found that certain, specific parts of the brain were injured in some foreign-accent syndrome cases, indicating that certain parts of the brain control various linguistic functions, and damage could result in altered pitch or mispronounced syllables, causing speech patterns to be distorted in a non-specific manner. More recently, there is mounting evidence that the cerebellum, which controls motor function, may be crucially involved in some cases of foreign accent syndrome, reinforcing the notion that speech pattern alteration is mechanical, and thus non-specific.[4][5] Thus, the perception of a foreign accent is likely a case of pareidolia on the part of the listener.
    So she doesn't technically have an Irish accent. It's just that the damage altered the way she speaks in a manner that sounds to some people as Irish.

and to be fair, she wouldn't turn Irish until she develops a drinking problem and starts fighting people.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post
      So she doesn't technically have an Irish accent. It's just that the damage altered the way she speaks in a manner that sounds to some people as Irish.
      You're not Mr. Fun.

and to be fair, she wouldn't turn Irish until she develops a drinking problem and starts fighting people.

That's better.
      "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
      "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Wezil View Post
        You're not Mr. Fun.
        Mr. Fun as in Mr. Fun? Gasp!
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Speer View Post

You sound like my ex father-in-law.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Is there an explanation for the change in vocabulary?
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

She probably started adding in those words when people told her she sounded Irish. People are weird like that.

Comment

Working...
              X