Would Question Time Work In The US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would Question Time Work In The US

I've watched Question time on CSPAN for years and it strikes me that even though British politicians are still just politicians they seem to more knowledgeable about things than US counterparts. Of course when you see a Congressman talk on CSPAN he or she is speaking to a mostly empty room and they have those stupid graphs and charts that they change periodically and now even in the ****ing Senate I see those popping up.

I also love how the British have set up their parliament where the lawmakers are facing each other. It is just built for debate where the Senate and House seem to be built for making speeches. Another question would be how a President would operate in a question time environment. Perhaps a different building could be used that would be more conducive similar to what happened when they had their health summit. Some Presidents would thrive in this environment and others would probably look really stupid but it would give the people a chance to see them exchange their ideas in something other than a press conference.
    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Question Period doesn't even work in the UK or Canada.

In Canada, Question Period is where the MPs all hurl insults at eachother.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Who gives a crap about what happens in Canada?
      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
      We've got both kinds

Comment

Certainly not our politicians. Too busy insulting eachother in Question Period.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Question period

Comment

Maybe it just can't work in the North America.
            Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

North America isn't ready for democracy.
              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Why do our politicians need "question time" to insult each other, that's what cable news is for.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

We'd need more MPs from Newfoundland to make Question Period better.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Sprayber View Post
                    Another question would be how a President would operate in a question time environment.
                    Why would the president additionally subject himself to the power of another branch of government?
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Obama already tried that a few months back and (surprise!) Republicans b*tched and moaned about it IMMEDIATELY after, like walked-out-of-the-room-and-into-cameras after.
                      The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Questioning doesn't work here in the states

"Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                        X