Finance and Rents

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance and Rents

I have wondered about this. It doesn't seem as if the economy has been a lot better handled the last 30 years, although the finance sector has made much much more.

It isn't my area of expertise though.

Thoughts?
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

The citation to ROE can give a false reading -- it may just reflect increasing use of leverage in the banking system and will go away as leverage practices are cleaned up.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Consider that through the debt-system a growing amount of cash is flowing into the financial sector. With the raising number of companies that go broken and the upsetting unemployement rate all over the world, the request for financial services are exponentially growing, letting the "money-mover" to enlarge their business while the world goes to the unavoidable demise.
      Now, rather than saying that economy is better handled, I think it would more appropriate to say that economy is just more complicated and requires better handling-skills. Many saw the opportunity to save their lives by investing their money in the financial sector but the fact that small financial groups are joining in order to survive the competition, clearly states in which direction the economy is going. Small financial companies and ventures are bond to extinction, more likely used to make money in a rush before disappearing or being gobbled up by the big-fishes. Those big-fishes will soon possess everything. The more they possess, the more economy will be apparently "under control".
      The destination doesn't matter. What's important is the journey.

Comment

My rent now is much higher than my rent five years ago, but I don't know how the price-per-square-feet compares - I'd guesstimate that my current apartment costs 20% more per square foot.
        <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

Originally posted by loinburger View Post
          My rent now is much higher than my rent five years ago, but I don't know how the price-per-square-feet compares - I'd guesstimate that my current apartment costs 20% more per square foot.
          It's normal inflation, provided that along with your rent, the salary grows in a balanced way. In Italy, just so to speak, 8 years ago my salary was around 3,900€ net of VAT and my rent was 1,200€. Now my salary is 1,600€ net of VAT (although the job is still the same - I'm not joking) and my rent is 1,300€. I must be thankful that my landlord had shown some compassion towards me, but I would kill the Finance Minister.
          The destination doesn't matter. What's important is the journey.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
            http://www.economist.com/businessfin.../wl/ar/rentcut

I have wondered about this. It doesn't seem as if the economy has been a lot better handled the last 30 years, although the finance sector has made much much more.

It isn't my area of expertise though.

Thoughts?
            What's Google's return on equity from its founding? Why is return on equity a poor metric for companies with large numbers of high-skill employees?
            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
              The citation to ROE can give a false reading -- it may just reflect increasing use of leverage in the banking system and will go away as leverage practices are cleaned up.
              Hey dan: what's the return on equity to a law firm?
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                What's Google's return on equity from its founding? Why is return on equity a poor metric for companies with large numbers of high-skill employees?
                I already made this point to him extensively

Comment

Different thread, I'm guessing.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

IM.

Comment

You're teaching intermediate economics over IM now?
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

The education level in the finance industry has increased a lot the last 30 years. However, it is still not clear to me that this is the only cause/effect.

I am still thinking about it.

JM
                        (Well, not at the moment, I stopped thinking about it to work/etc, and will think about it more later.)
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

WHY do people who work in finance earn more than most other people?
                          But the degree doesn't get your ****!

(maybe an MBA does)
                          "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                          "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                            The education level in the finance industry has increased a lot the last 30 years. However, it is still not clear to me that this is the only cause/effect.

I am still thinking about it.

JM
                            (Well, not at the moment, I stopped thinking about it to work/etc, and will think about it more later.)
                            Education level isn't a particularly relevant proxy, Jon.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Yeah, the people from my school who got the serious finance jobs were not average CS majors.

Comment

Working...
                              X