English subs for copyrighted(?) stuff on YT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• English subs for copyrighted(?) stuff on YT

Hi everyone! It's been quite a while since I last was posting on here!

So, about a week ago, I stumbled upon an interesting French documentary on North Korea on YouTube that has apparently been there since 2007. As I'm studying French and translation, I got the idea of subbing the documentary in English, mainly for fun and for the experience. When I was done, I put the vids on YouTube, they were 100% public at first. Then I started having my doubts as to the legality of what I was doing and moved them to unlisted addresses (PM me if you want to see them).

Do you think there is a possibility that the French channel will sue me for a billion euros if they are made public? I know the unsubbed version has been there for 3 years already, that there are a lot of music clips with translated lyrics, a lot of parody subs etc, but I haven't yet seen a whole documentary with unauthorized subs. Also, I don't speak either French or English as my native language so the subs are almost sure to contain some errors.

Aivo½so
    Last edited by Meticulous Man; June 4, 2010, 20:22.

The French don't have the internet anymore, the surrendered it last year.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

You should probably delete this thread and go into hiding for awhile.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

So I've read up a bit on fansubbing and it seems it might indeed be a bit too risky to make the vids 100% available to everyone (or at least I might get my YT account deleted), so I think I'll keep them unlisted and only show them to a few chosen people. Still, an interesting thing: I made the subtitles using these YouTube captions that can be turned on and off according to the user's will, so I have technically not altered the video itself. I wonder if this has any bearing on the legal aspect?

Comment

Working...
        X