Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Evolutionary Pscyhology Be Taught Instead of Philosophy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Evolutionary Pscyhology Be Taught Instead of Philosophy?

Should Evolutionary Psychology Be Taught Instead of Philosophy?

Simple question. Elaborate if you have to.

In my country, certain demographics (kids in high-schools that don't
    teach you a trade but are preparing you for university instead) are
    taught philosophy for a year or two.

It's waste of time in my opinion. Simply too abstract and obscure for
    kids to understand. Teaching philosophy should be abolished and
    the time slot allotted to these two things:

1. Teaching kids principles of anarchy
    2. Teaching kids evolutionary psychology

Agree?

It's all a waste of time. Kids are stupid.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

For college prep, a few waste of time classes are probably the best preparation for a LAS degree.
      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Vet:

I meant to ask you... what is up with your posts and how they don't go across the screen? Are you typing your posts in Notepad or something first then copy and pasting them here?

And we had a choice of Philosophy or Drama in my high school (#45 in the country by US News & World Report! Thanks HC and Kuci for encouraging my research! Also seen in the M. Night Shyamalan film, "The Happening"). While I admit the Philosophy went over most people's heads (including mine for the most part), the format of the class with it being discussion and essay oriented is a good preview for college.
        "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
        "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post

Agree?
          People really don't understand evolution for the most part. Sure they can memorize things like ape creatures over time "evolved" (they think this means the same as advanced in a almost Lamarckian sense) to become first cave men then us. But try applying the principle to anything else and you get retarded answers form them, fallacies like "just so" stories are actually a sign that they at least grasp the concept of blind natural and sexual selection!

Also evolutionary psychology would probably make Commies, Feminists as well as the Chatolic Church pretty upset. In other words Croatia is stuck with Philosophy (as is Slovenia where we have the same system).

Perhaps someone might listen to your ideas in South Korea or Japan?
          Last edited by Heraclitus; June 3, 2010, 19:52.
          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post

Agree?
            1. What are "principles of anarchy"?
            2. How is evolutionary psychology any less useless than philosophy?

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
              1. What are "principles of anarchy"?
              If by principles of anarcy one learns how to defend oneself against the upcoming post apocalyptic zombie invasion, then principles of anarchy
              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Braaaiinnnnsss!
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Where?
                  “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

@Vetlegion: I don't get the anarchy bit. Can you elaborate?
                    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Evolutionary Psychology = How to make your racism and sexism sound "sciency"

So, no.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

No one should ever waste educational time on something as useless as philosophy. I actually have an acquaintance who is studying philosophy and he is 35, still lives at home with his parents (he's never once moved out), and hasn't had a job in 10 years. He sits around all day smoking pot, spending his student aid money on drugs and hookers, and generally whining that the government hasn't given him enough money to sit on his ass for decades at a time. This is totally true. Anyone who can't graduate in 17 years is a loser and probably is studying philosophy because every other department kicked his ass out. I know this is true with the guy I know.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Even if that's your view it's still better than evolutionary psychology.
                          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            Evolutionary Psychology = How to make your racism and sexism sound "sciency"

So, no.
                            Originally posted by MikeH View Post
                            Even if that's your view it's still better than evolutionary psychology.
                            You do realize that Heraclitus =/= Evopsych right?

Comment

I wasn't thinking of you specifically.

We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                              X