Family Guy make a joke he put peepee in your coke

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Family Guy make a joke he put peepee in your coke

Lately, the only way "Family Guy" excels is proving how much better "South Park" is at incendiary humor. While Matt Stone and Trey Parker's dirty little sociopaths have managed to freak out an entire network – while winning such unlikely fans as Bill O'Reilly – for taking on religious taboos and putting the prophet Muhammad in a bear suit, Seth MacFarlane's comedy limps along, whipping up controversy with lame jokes about Down Syndrome kids. And on Sunday, the show inexplicably made light of the men who died in Vietnam.

On a trip to the nation's capitol, patriarch Peter Griffin spies a pair of veterans at the memorial wall, where a Vietnamese man is "giving the business" to them by referring to the names on the monument as a "Scoreboard! Scoreboard!" He then points to one name on the wall and says, "Aw, what happen to your friend? Hey, I know that guy – I kill him! He cry like a *****!" Rimshot!

Oh, for God's sake. How does a show get cynical enough to drum up attention with gags like that?

There's no subject matter inherently taboo in humor – you can take the conceit of Hitler's last days in the bunker and make it entertaining. "South Park" doesn't always hit the jackpot, but the show reliably finds the lighter side of abortion, cannibalism and religious fanaticism. And "The Simpsons" has, in fact, spent two decades getting laughs out of Principal Skinner's traumatic stint in 'Nam.

Why then does "Family Guy" so often fall so flat? Because if history is written by the winners, comedy is written by the losers. The brilliance of something like "The Daily Show" comes from its little guy outrage, not from arrogantly mocking the handicapped or the people who died in a war. Maybe MacFarlane, the highest paid man on television, just doesn't understand that putting down people who are already down isn't simply offensive. It's bad comedy.
    Award-winning news and culture, features breaking news, in-depth reporting and criticism on politics, science, food and entertainment.

I just saw the episode that's why this thread comes a little late. Personally, I thought it was the best joke in it. I'd add a poll too, but I don't feel like making an effort right now.

You say?

Dark humour to be sure, but I laughed.
    "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
    "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

South Park or Family Guy appeal to the manchild demographic.

Comment

Right, I don't fear being called pretentious when I admit to watching Family Guy.

The article leaves out the best part of the joke which is when the Vietnamese guy goes all "Vietnam, undefeated!" That's what sold it for me.

Comment

What about the French?
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

"Scoreboard! Scoreboard!" He then points to one name on the wall and says, "Aw, what happen to your friend? Hey, I know that guy – I kill him! He cry like a *****!" Rimshot!
            This **** is funny.

Tasteless humour FTW!
            Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
            I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Originally posted by Thoth View Post
              This **** is funny.

Tasteless humour FTW!
              QFMFT.
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
              X