Death of flight simulators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Death of flight simulators?

I read this comment on IGN's Top 25 PC Games of all time with regards to Falcon 4.0:

This incredibly ambitious flight sim represents the last effort by a major publisher to develop a huge budget, high fidelity, realistic combat flight simulator... It's also safe to say that the odds that we'll ever see its like again are slim to none.
    It seems that Microsoft has ended the Flight Simulator line of games and I don't recall any realistic flight simulators to come out in nearly a decade.

Why is this? Why is the genre dead? I always thought that all the improvements in graphics over the years would only make flight simulators more attractive.
    "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
    "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

X-Plane is still alive
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

they are boring.
      Order of the Fly
      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Also they teach terrists to fly planes into buildings.
        Quendelie axan!

Comment

True, and that's a pretty desperate way to make a game not boring.
          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I actually played a ton of microsoft's flight simulator when I was younger. Dunno why, I enjoyed it. I didn't just crash the planes either , I actually got pretty good at flying them.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

What about the combat flight simulators? Red Baron, Falcon, European Air War, etc. were all very popular but there doesn't seem to be any recent realistic combat flight simulators (so not counting HAWX, etc.). Il-2 is almost 9 years old already, for example.
              "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
              "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

Let's not forget Wing Commander.
                Blah

Comment

Flight Simulator games sucks.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Heretic! Red Baron and European Air War were cool
                    Blah

Comment

Working...
                    X