X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lies!

Toddlers who lie 'will do better'

Toddler eating biscuit Researchers said most children lied

Toddlers who tell lies early on are more likely to do well later, researchers claim.

The complex brain processes involved in formulating a lie are an indicator of a child's early intelligence, they add.

A Canadian study of 1,200 children aged two to 17 suggests those who are able to lie have reached an important developmental stage.

Only a fifth of two-year-olds tested in the study were able to lie.

But at age four, 90% were capable of lying, the study found. The rate increases with age to a peak at age 12.
    'Developmental milestone'

The director of the Institute of Child Study at Toronto University, Dr Kang Lee, said: "Parents should not be alarmed if their child tells a fib.

"Their children are not going to turn out to be pathological liars. Almost all children lie.

"It is a sign that they have reached a new developmental milestone.

"Those who have better cognitive development lie because they can cover up their tracks."

This was because they had developed the ability to carry out a complex juggling act which involves keeping the truth at the back of their brains.

He added: "They even make bankers in later life."

Dr Kang tested the children's honesty by telling them not to peek at a toy placed behind their backs while leaving the room.

He then monitored their reactions by video and returned to ask if they had turned around, checking their responses against the recording.
    Research suggests an early ability to lie is a mark of intelligence.
    Last edited by BeBMan; May 17, 2010, 10:09.
    Blah

Toddler eating biscuit Researchers said most children lied
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

my son doesn't lie... I'm going to have to start encouraging that more
      Monkey!!!

Comment

I imagine we could encourage the same development with story telling. But hey, lying is good too... right?
        Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Lying in childhood is good practice for adulthood
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

I never lie.
            Monkey!!!

Comment

I always lie.
              What?

Comment

I strive to maintain a strict 1:1 ratio of truth:lies.
                Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Nice, Richelieu. Liar's paradox in this joint.
                  "Flutie was better than Kelly, Elway, Esiason and Cunningham." - Ben Kenobi
                  "I have nothing against Wilson, but he's nowhere near the same calibre of QB as Flutie. Flutie threw for 5k+ yards in the CFL." -Ben Kenobi

Comment

don't lie, just die.
                    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Working...
                    X