No announcement yet.

All your TVs are belong to us!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OP says other wise. It says it can turn off your input/output and since it comes from a good technical website (CNET) I am inclined to believe them over you until proven other wise. Please post something claiming they are wrong.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Re-read the OP, or better yet, read the FCC ruling. It has a far better explanation of the technical issues. That said, yes, it does turn off particular outputs, in the set-top box, for just that one program. It does not affect any other programs. In essence, the provider of the program puts a code in the signal that says "I will only leave the set-top box through certain types of output." That's it. Unbunch your panties. You're acting like a John Bircher about this.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

If you have an output port on your TV, you can send it anywhere you want once it comes directly into the TV... right?
        Keep on Civin'
        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Unless they shut it off. Which is what they're trying to do.

Comment

I would guess so, unless your TV had SOC capability, as well. My understanding is that only set-top boxes have it, though, in which case I don't know how the "shutdown code" in the signal could have any effect once the signal has made it out of the box.

Comment

One more time... if the Box is programmed to only send the signal to my digital TV, can I get around that by sending the signal to my TV BEFORE sending it to another device. From what is discribed, that should work since the original signal is being sent to an approved device.
              Keep on Civin'
              RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I'm sure there will be a work around, there always is, but I still don't like my hardware being jacked by the MPAA especially not for up to 90 days even if the MPAA claims it will only be for one movie. It's my hardware not their's and I want absolute control over my hardware in my house. I bought it after all. They can suck my dick before that happens.

The amount of hardware jacking the MPAA asked for is horribly, horribly unconscionable. That just shows their desires are not in my best interests.

Comment

By the way, Oerdin, your interpretation of the 90-day provision is also ****tarded. From the ruling:

"Accordingly, we will terminate the waiver for a particular film 90 days after the first activation of SOC, or immediately upon the release of the film on any prerecorded media (including Blu-Ray), whichever is sooner."

In other words, the provider has only a 90-day window in which to offer a movie with SOC activation, and can't keep offering it SOC once the customer can go to a store and buy it. It has nothing to do with how long they can keep your equipment dysfunctional (which they're not doing in the first place).

Comment

Originally posted by Ming View Post
                    One more time... if the Box is programmed to only send the signal to my digital TV, can I get around that by sending the signal to my TV BEFORE sending it to another device. From what is discribed, that should work since the original signal is being sent to an approved device.
                    Unless it's a completely disconnected device like a camera recording the screen, probably not. HDMI/HDCP will detect a non-compliant device in the chain and either shut off (I'd say that's most likely in this case) or degrade the video.
                    "In the beginning was the Word. Then came the ******* word processor." -Dan Simmons, Hyperion

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
                      By the way, Oerdin, your interpretation of the 90-day provision is also ****tarded.
                      And are you are surprised that Oerdin flys off the handle when not understanding this?
                      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sadly, no. Not surprised at all.

Comment

I figured.

However, we have to remember that Oerdin has admitted to, and is proud of, torrenting movies and shows. So obviously he's pissed that one potential avenue is closed off to him.
                          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

God, who even USES bittorrent these days? There are better options (that will not be discussed).
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

such as
                              Monkey!!!

Comment

Such as Yarrr-n-Woo.com
                                The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Working...
                                X