• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Neanderthal admixture in humans!

Fascinating news!

http://www.sciencemag.org/special/neandertal/

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/gnxp/

Via Razib:
    I’m still digesting the papers on the Neandertals which just came out. You can find them here. If you have questions, please read the papers first. They’re open access, so free to all. There’s a lot to mull over, and I don’t know what I can add right now, but I will note:

1) There’s a lot of stuff that doesn’t have to do with admixture, but focuses on genes where Neandertals and modern humans differ. There is for example an enrichment of differences in genes which relate to skin morphology. But my friends who think that modern human uniqueness can’t be pinned down to changes in SNPs will probably feel even more validated by this paper.

2) The fact that non-Africans as a whole, including Papuans, have Neandertal admixture, presumably from interactions in the Middle East, seem close to falsifying the “two-wave” model of expansion “Out of Africa” which came to prominence in the early aughts. That is, one group of Africans went north through the Middle East, and another swept along the Indian ocean fringe and onto southeast Asia. If there were two waves then they interacted a lot because they both received the same proportion of Neandertal alleles, which makes the idea of two genetically distinct waves a bit useless.
    It seems Salier was right on his money on Sunday. 1 to 4% admixture after years thinking this 600 000 year divergent branch went completly into oblivion is well... nerdy to get excited over. But I can't help myself!

Here's up to a new group of ancestors!

Excuse me I'll go back to reading it!
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

This explains a great deal about many things...
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

This isn't news.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

If this is true it will severely hurt my faith. Serious post.

I guess you can belive in God nd think that he guided evolution to create Homo Sapiens Sapiens, but if some humans mated with other now extinct hominids and transmited their genes, how can you still believe in God?
        I need a foot massage

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
          He looks sad
          APOSTOLNIK BEANIE BERET BICORNE BIRETTA BOATER BONNET BOWLER CAP CAPOTAIN CHADOR COIF CORONET CROWN DO-RAG FEDORA FEZ GALERO HAIRNET HAT HEADSCARF HELMET HENNIN HIJAB HOOD KABUTO KERCHIEF KOLPIK KUFI MITRE MORTARBOARD PERUKE PICKELHAUBE SKULLCAP SOMBRERO SHTREIMEL STAHLHELM STETSON TIARA TOQUE TOUPEE TRICORN TRILBY TURBAN VISOR WIG YARMULKE ZUCCHETTO

Comment

That's probably because he knows he will appear in a Hera thread 40,000 years later.

Comment

****, that kind of thing will make you want to kill yourself. which explains the disappearance...

anyhow, this is really cool, although not really surprising.
              Last edited by Az; May 7, 2010, 05:04.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post

I guess you can belive in God nd think that he guided evolution to create Homo Sapiens Sapiens, but if some humans mated with other now extinct hominids and transmited their genes, how can you still believe in God?

By believing in God, and not in some human writings that while providing some interesting takes on history and morals should only be taken literally all the way through by superstitious morons?

Comment

Can someone set me straight here?

There's 4 % crossover in our DNA with Neanderthals. Why can't this be explained by a couple of humans mating with Neanderthals and the offspring being brought up in Neanderthal families, leaving Homo Sapiens Neanderthal DNA-free?

To put it another way, maybe they had some of our DNA, rather than us having some of theirs?

Comment

They are all humans. Neanderthals are not a separate species as they can and did interbreed with other humans. Yes, there are some anatomical differences, but there are differences of a similar scale between the pigmy tribes of Africa and Scandinavians and Chinese etc. As a single species, of course the DNA is very similar.
                    There are much greater differences between skulls of a pitbull terrier and a greyhound, but they can interbreed and we know they are the same species, dog, exactly the same situation with Neanderthrals and humans. Genocide has been committed in the past against the Neanderthral tribe, rather than admit genocide we seem to feel more comfortable naming them as a separate species.

Comment

That makes sense.

Maybe they were subsumed and ceased to be a separate group, like say... Jeez, I can't think of an example.

Maybe they still exist side by side with the rest of us. That would explain Rugby League players

Comment

Originally posted by Barnabas View Post

I am not sure why it would hurt your faith? Does the Bible ever talk about the purity of Homo Sapien Sapien? What part of God existing or even Christ existing (or even performing miracles) relies upon or is any way related to modern humans/etc genetics/maiting etc.

I think that there is nothing incompatible with any traditional/common/etc beliefs due to this (other than the old point of 800000 years or whatever, but I think that young earth creationists have had to deal with that for over a century).

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN
                        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh View Post
                          This explains a great deal about many things...
                          Can you be more specific?
                          Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                          The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                          The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by trev View Post
                            They are all humans. Neanderthals are not a separate species as they can and did interbreed with other humans. Yes, there are some anatomical differences, but there are differences of a similar scale between the pigmy tribes of Africa and Scandinavians and Chinese etc. As a single species, of course the DNA is very similar.
                            There are much greater differences between skulls of a pitbull terrier and a greyhound, but they can interbreed and we know they are the same species, dog, exactly the same situation with Neanderthrals and humans. Genocide has been committed in the past against the Neanderthral tribe, rather than admit genocide we seem to feel more comfortable naming them as a separate species.
                            Neanderthals are classified either as a seperate species Homo N. or as a Subspecies Homo Sapiens N. The genetic and anatomical differences are much larger than between the currently existing races.

A up to 20% larger brain for starters. The ability to throw spears properly for another.

Comment

Originally posted by ricketyclik View Post
                              Can someone set me straight here?

There's 4 % crossover in our DNA with Neanderthals. Why can't this be explained by a couple of humans mating with Neanderthals and the offspring being brought up in Neanderthal families, leaving Homo Sapiens Neanderthal DNA-free?

To put it another way, maybe they had some of our DNA, rather than us having some of theirs?
                              You are quite confused, read the link I provided and inqure about their method.

A bit OT I think this may point to other possible admixture in humans. I'm betting we will see some advanced erectus or other hominid admixture elsewhere in Asia in addition to the 4% N. that nonAfricans in general have.
                              Last edited by Heraclitus; May 7, 2010, 12:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X