Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HP buys Palm for $1.2B

End of an era.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

HP to Acquire Palm for $1.2 Billion
    Combination will Accelerate HP’s Growth within the More Than $100 Billion Connected Mobile Device Market

PALO ALTO, Calif. & SUNNYVALE, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--HP (NYSE: HPQ - News) and Palm, Inc. (NASDAQ: PALM - News) today announced that they have entered into a definitive agreement under which HP will purchase Palm, a provider of smartphones powered by the Palm webOS mobile operating system, at a price of $5.70 per share of Palm common stock in cash or an enterprise value of approximately $1.2 billion. The transaction has been approved by the HP and Palm boards of directors.

The combination of HP’s global scale and financial strength with Palm’s unparalleled webOS platform will enhance HP’s ability to participate more aggressively in the fast-growing, highly profitable smartphone and connected mobile device markets. Palm’s unique webOS will allow HP to take advantage of features such as true multitasking and always up-to-date information sharing across applications.

“Palm’s innovative operating system provides an ideal platform to expand HP’s mobility strategy and create a unique HP experience spanning multiple mobile connected devices,” said Todd Bradley, executive vice president, Personal Systems Group, HP. “And, Palm possesses significant IP assets and has a highly skilled team. The smartphone market is large, profitable and rapidly growing, and companies that can provide an integrated device and experience command a higher share. Advances in mobility are offering significant opportunities, and HP intends to be a leader in this market.”

“We’re thrilled by HP’s vote of confidence in Palm’s technological leadership, which delivered Palm webOS and iconic products such as the Palm Pre. HP’s longstanding culture of innovation, scale and global operating resources make it the perfect partner to rapidly accelerate the growth of webOS,” said Jon Rubinstein, chairman and chief executive officer, Palm. “We look forward to working with HP to continue to deliver industry-leading mobile experiences to our customers and business partners.”

Under the terms of the merger agreement, Palm stockholders will receive $5.70 in cash for each share of Palm common stock that they hold at the closing of the merger. The merger consideration takes into account the updated guidance and other financial information being released by Palm this afternoon. The acquisition is subject to customary closing conditions, including the receipt of domestic and foreign regulatory approvals and the approval of Palm’s stockholders. The transaction is expected to close during HP’s third fiscal quarter ending July 31, 2010.

Palm’s current chairman and CEO, Jon Rubinstein, is expected to remain with the company.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Oh. ****?
      You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

It'll be interesting if they keep WebOS alive.

A lot of cool ideas and a good implementation in WebOS (along with some aggravating development quirks). But it may be squeezed out -- the market's already crowded with iPhone, Android, and Blackberry...(and to a lesser extent, the retards at Nokia). Not sure there's space for WebOS.

Comment

Overpaid.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Agree with DanS
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

“We’re thrilled by HP’s vote of confidence

pathetic

also this:

Overpaid.
              urgh.NSFW

Comment

When I applied for a job there last fall they'd been in a hiring freeze for nearly a year...

Comment

What happened to Lenovo. A few weeks ago the media was claiming Lenovo was interested in Palm. Did they get out bid or did they decide they didn't want it?
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                    When I applied for a job there last fall they'd been in a hiring freeze for nearly a year...
                    Friend of mine got a job there 2 months ago, working on the WebOS framework.

One of my former co-op students got an offer from Palm, but didn't take it -- he went to Mozilla instead on the basis of Palm's instability. Good for him, because the term starts next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                      What happened to Lenovo. A few weeks ago the media was claiming Lenovo was interested in Palm. Did they get out bid or did they decide they didn't want it?
                      Lenovo is cheap, and $1.2B ($1B in cash alone) is a steep price.

But the people who think they overpaid are probably not aware of the value of the treasuretrove of patents Palm has when it comes to smartphones. Remember, they were there first...and patented a LOT of stuff. They chose not to litigate with those patents (mostly as a PR move), but their new owner may choose differently. Especially now that Apple has somewhat openly declared war on Android, and is using their patent toolchest as a weapon.

There's a reason why Apple is suing other smartphone vendors who choose to implement multitouch (which they have a patent on), and they've not laid a finger or even threatened Palm. Because they know Palm could easily sink them with injunction and demands for retroactive licensing fees for many, many patents that virtually every smartphone "violates".

Palm's real value here is their patent base.

Comment

It'd be fun to see HP make vague threats on that level (patents) to Apple .
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

If only Facebook had bought them...there are far more jokes to be had in that
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Working...
                          X