They have the power to switch off your brain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They have the power to switch off your brain

A bit of a case of scientists proving that people like food, but still...

This probably applies when listening to a person of similar political affiliation as one as well:

They have the power to switch off your brain
    NICKY PHILLIPS
    April 25, 2010
    CERTAIN parts of the brain - which control scepticism and vigilance - appear to deactivate in some people when they're in the presence of a speaker who they believe has divine healing powers, scientists in Denmark have found.

Researchers recruited 36 male and female participants; about half were devout Christians from the Pentecostal church, while the other half were non-religious.

The participants who considered themselves religious believed that some people could possess divine powers of healing. The non-religious participants did not believe this.

Each person listened to 18 different prayers performed by three different people - a Christian, a non-Christian and a Christian known for their ''healing'' powers - while undergoing a brain scan. (In reality, all three speakers were ''ordinary'' Christians, with no reported healing powers.) After the scan, participants were asked to rate each speaker's charisma.

The devout Christians in the study rated the speaker presented as a divine healer as the most charismatic, while they voted the non-Christian speaker as the least charismatic.

When the researchers looked at the brain scans from the devout Christians, they found a decrease in activity in parts of the prefrontal cortex that control scepticism when the ''healer'' was speaking. The reverse - an increase in activity - was found in response to the non-Christian speaker.

In situations of scepticism or mistrust, areas at the front of the brain become extra-vigilant and mobilise more attention to check for errors, said the leader of the research, Uffe Schjoedt of Aarhus University in Denmark. ''But in situations of trust it seems as if this vigilance is decreased,'' he said.

Mr Schjoedt said the Christian participants appeared to be modulating their brain activity based on an assumption of each speaker's charismatic ability or healing powers.

The brain scans of the non-religious participants didn't show any change in activity when listening to the three speakers.

He said the results of the study were probably not limited to religious figures. ''Doctors, teachers, parents and other authority figures, whom you expect to be trustworthy, may have this effect on your brain.''

No surprise, right? Anyone who reads any of the religious texts or listens to any of the sermons with a fully functioning brain would laugh their asses off. It only makes sense if you turn off most of your brain.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Read the title, thought this would be about T'n'A. What a disappointment.

Seriously, the evidence seems to indicate:

A. People are suggestible, and garner different impressions of things based on what they are told beforehand. Old news. Tell somebody a wine won several awards in France and he'll like it a lot better than if you say it's "an okay Chardonnay."
      B. People are less suspicious of persons/things they are predisposed to like. Again, old news, and hardly unique to the religious. You'll notice that HL rarely notices the flaws in the mad rubbish he dredges up. Asher, when you find a review trashing an Apple product, do you rigorously fact-check it before reporting it here?
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Asher, when you find a review trashing an Apple product, do you rigorously fact-check it before reporting it here?

I frequently don't need to fact-check, seeing as I'm omnipotent and know things already.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

See, you worship yourself, and therefore never doubt your chosen deity...
          1011 1100
          Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

It's called confidence. Look it up.

Comment

I have divine healing powers.
              Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

I have divine hurting powers.
                “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

DaShi couldn't hurt a fly.
                  If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                  ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Working...
                  X