Community Organising, Alinsky, Barack Obama, and Lucifer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Community Organising, Alinsky, Barack Obama, and Lucifer

During the election campaign, much was made of the fact that Obama had experience as a community organiser. Till now, I had not paid much attention to what exactly that meant, nor did I care; after all, the title sounded innocuous enough. Little did I know just what depraved barbarism lurked under such a harmless-sounding term.

After recently going through Alinsky's list of "Rules for Radicals" (the Bible of these people, from the man who started the thing), I find it difficult to believe that the man had the gall to not only admit to his involvement in these activities, but to actually claim it as a point in his favour. The best I can do to illustrate why I am aghast at this man's getting the presidency after publicly confessing to such involvement in his past is to quote an article from what is, as far as I can make out, a source sympathetic to Alinsky and the whole movement:

In 1971, Saul Alinsky wrote an entertaining classic on grassroots organizing titled Rules for Radicals. Those who prefer cooperative tactics describe the book as out-of-date. Nevertheless, it provides some of the best advice on confrontational tactics. Alinsky begins this way:
    What follows is for those who want to change the world from what it is to what they believe it should be. The Prince was written by Machiavelli for the Haves on how to hold power. Rules for Radicals is written for the Have-Nots on how to take it away.

His “rules” derive from many successful campaigns where he helped poor people fighting power and privilege

For Alinsky, organizing is the process of highlighting what is wrong and convincing people they can actually do something about it. The two are linked. If people feel they don’t have the power to change a bad situation, they stop thinking about it.

According to Alinsky, the organizer — especially a paid organizer from outside — must first overcome suspicion and establish credibility. Next the organizer must begin the task of agitating: rubbing resentments, fanning hostilities, and searching out controversy. This is necessary to get people to participate. An organizer has to attack apathy and disturb the prevailing patterns of complacent community life where people have simply come to accept a bad situation. Alinsky would say, “The first step in community organization is community disorganization.”

Through a process combining hope and resentment, the organizer tries to create a “mass army” that brings in as many recruits as possible from local organizations, churches, services groups, labor unions, corner gangs, and individuals.

Alinsky provides a collection of rules to guide the process. But he emphasizes these rules must be translated into real-life tactics that are fluid and responsive to the situation at hand.

Rule 1: Power is not only what you have, but what an opponent thinks you have. If your organization is small, hide your numbers in the dark and raise a din that will make everyone think you have many more people than you do.

Rule 2: Never go outside the experience of your people.
    The result is confusion, fear, and retreat.

Rule 3: Whenever possible, go outside the experience of an opponent. Here you want to cause confusion, fear, and retreat.

Rule 4: Make opponents live up to their own book of rules. “You can kill them with this, for they can no more obey their own rules than the Christian church can live up to Christianity.”

Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

Rule 6: A good tactic is one your people enjoy. “If your people aren’t having a ball doing it, there is something very wrong with the tactic.”

Rule 7: A tactic that drags on for too long becomes a drag. Commitment may become ritualistic as people turn to other issues.

Rule 8: Keep the pressure on. Use different tactics and actions and use all events of the period for your purpose. “The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure upon the opposition. It is this that will cause the opposition to react to your advantage.”

Rule 9: The threat is more terrifying than the thing itself. When Alinsky leaked word that large numbers of poor people were going to tie up the washrooms of O’Hare Airport, Chicago city authorities quickly agreed to act on a longstanding commitment to a ghetto organization. They imagined the mayhem as thousands of passengers poured off airplanes to discover every washroom occupied. Then they imagined the international embarrassment and the damage to the city’s reputation.

Rule 10: The price of a successful attack is a constructive alternative. Avoid being trapped by an opponent or an interviewer who says, “Okay, what would you do?”

Rule 11: Pick the target, freeze it, personalize it, polarize it. Don’t try to attack abstract corporations or bureaucracies. Identify a responsible individual. Ignore attempts to shift or spread the blame.

According to Alinsky, the main job of the organizer is to bait an opponent into reacting. “The enemy properly goaded and guided in his reaction will be your major strength.”

Let it not be forgotten that the original edition of the book was dedicated to Lucifer. (That dedication has now been removed.)

Saul Alinsky, the radical University of Chicago-trained social scientist. At the heart of the Alinsky method is the concept of “agitation”–making someone angry enough about the rotten state of his life that he agrees to take action to change it; or, as Alinsky himself described the job, to “rub raw the sores of discontent.”
    Obama claims that his time being a community organiser made a man out of him. Has there been any discussion on exactly what sort of a man this process could create? Is nobody else concerned about this?

Does no-one care that a man whose entire formative experience consists of "...rubbing resentments, fanning hostilities, and searching out controversy" in order to use a list of vile and immoral tactics to "....bait an opponent into reacting" so as to seize power (because that's what it's all about, finally: "...on how to take it [power] away") is now occupying the office of the President of the United States of America? Does nobody else see anything remotely wrong with this scenario?

Rub raw the sores of discontent.......

Indeed.
    Last edited by aneeshm; April 21, 2010, 15:32.

Please explain to me how this is 'depraved barbarism'.

I'm looking for the 'vile and immoral' acts.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
      Does nobody else see anything remotely wrong with this scenario?
      No.

Politics is about power. Rules for radicals is no different than any political science class in any university in the world. The fact that some people try to get power for those without it is only a bad thing for those people who currently have power and don't want to share.
      Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

PS - You're from Pune.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Ozzy beat me to it.... the answer is no.
          “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
          - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
            No.

Politics is about power. Rules for radicals is no different than any political science class in any university in the world. The fact that some people try to get power for those without it is only a bad thing for those people who currently have power and don't want to share.
            You see nothing at all wrong with those "rules"? Nor with the fact that a man who claims to have cut his teeth feeding on resentment and hate (without accomplishing anything to show for it, mind you), and dangling hope as a carrot to manipulate people, is the President of your state?

(These are not rhetorical questions, by the way; I am genuinely curious in a horrified sort of way.)

EDIT: With respect to your last sentence, are you implicitly saying that the ends justify the means?

Comment

Rule 5: Ridicule is man’s most potent weapon. It’s hard to counterattack ridicule, and it infuriates the opposition, which then reacts to your advantage.

KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

You see nothing at all wrong with those "rules"? Nor with the fact that a man who claims to have cut his teeth feeding on resentment and hate (without accomplishing anything to show for it, mind you), and dangling hope as a carrot to manipulate people, is the President of your state?

(These are not rhetorical questions, by the way; I am genuinely curious in a horrified sort of way.)

EDIT: With respect to your last sentence, are you implicitly saying that the ends justify the means?
                That's how the world works. If you don't want your country to be a craphole that is perpetually dominated by foreigners you need your leaders to be ****ing ruthless.

If India is lucky the Naxalites will seize power. Communists are some of the most ruthless people on the planet.

Comment

I can't believe you still wet your pants, aneeshm.

On a serious note - I'm with Imran and Ozzy on this.
                  A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
                    That's how the world works. If you don't want your country to be a craphole that is perpetually dominated by foreigners you need your leaders to be ****ing ruthless.
                    This may or may not be true, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with my criticism of Obama in the OP, does it? And since when did the USA have to worry about foreign domination?

As for ruthlessness - this is not it.

Comment

I disagree with rules 1, 9 and 11.

Rules 5 and 10 are unsatisfactory. Each admit the possibility of a significant counter-attack, explicitly.
                      Last edited by Ecofarm; April 21, 2010, 15:55.
                      Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                        On a serious note - I'm with Imran and Ozzy on this.

Comment

So... Gandhi was a community organizer. His goals and tactics were no different. Was he an evil man?

Comment

This may or may not be true, but it has nothing whatsoever to do with my criticism of Obama in the OP, does it? And since when did the USA have to worry about foreign domination?

As for ruthlessness - this is not it.
                            Never, because the US kicks ass. Maybe someday India will learn.

Comment

Originally posted by OzzyKP View Post
                              So... Gandhi was a community organizer. His goals and tactics were no different. Was he an evil man?
                              I was going to come back along similar line, Ozzy. The civil rights movement of the 1950s and 60s, the early AIDS activism to pressure for more vigorous action against the early epidemic, and other movements entailed using confrontational tactics and political aggression. And those movements were striving toward good/positive ends.

And aneeshm has a problem with this?
                              A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Working...
                              X