Come take a look at the next iPhone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come take a look at the next iPhone

This looks completely legit. Lost prototype found in a bar in the Bay Area. It boots, it connects to iTunes and reports itself as an iPhone, and it works.

Gallery: http://gizmodo.com/5520155/gal-1//gallery/1
    Comparison photos with iPhone 3GS: http://gizmodo.com/5520160/gal-2//gallery/1

What's new
    • Front-facing video chat camera
    • Improved regular back-camera (the lens is quite noticeably larger than the iPhone 3GS)
    • Camera flash
    • Micro-SIM instead of standard SIM (like the iPad)
    • Improved display. It's unclear if it's the 960x460 display thrown around before—it certainly looks like it, with the "Connect to iTunes" screen displaying much higher resolution than on a 3GS.
    • What looks to be a secondary mic for noise cancellation, at the top, next to the headphone jack
    • Split buttons for volume
    • Power, mute, and volume buttons are all metallic

What's changed
    • The back is entirely flat, made of either glass (more likely) or shiny plastic in order for the cell signal to poke through. Tapping on the back makes a more hollow and higher pitched sound compared to tapping on the glass on the front/screen, but that could just be the orientation of components inside making for a different sound
    • An aluminum border going completely around the outside
    • Slightly smaller screen than the 3GS (but seemingly higher resolution)
    • Everything is more squared off
    • 3 grams heavier
    • 16% Larger battery
    • Internals components are shrunken, miniaturized and reduced to make room for the larger battery
    More details in the link.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

How long will it take Apple to file suit against Gizmondo? And anybody here think that the poor guy who lost it will perish in a mysterious car accident sometime soon?
    John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

How long will it take Apple to file suit against Gizmondo?
      I hate people who know nothing about the law or spelling.

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
        How long will it take Apple to file suit against Gizmondo?
        On what grounds I wonder? There can't be a trade secret claim since Apple's apparently poor efforts to maintain secrecy fail the definitional prong and merely finding something abandoned at a bar fails the improper means prong, so it'd have to be something else. No patent infringement since there appears to be only reporting of features without gainful use, no libel, no nothing. I'm leaning more towards your bump-off-the-incompetent-jackass theory.
        Unbelievable!

Comment

Apple has repeatedly sued sites just for leaking information ahead of Apple's embargos, even if these people never signed NDAs and just passed on information they've heard (see ThinkSecret).

Gizmodo is owned by Gawker Media, which would be a bad company to get on its bad side, though.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

I'll be buying one of these when they are released in June.
            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
              Apple has repeatedly sued sites just for leaking information ahead of Apple's embargos, even if these people never signed NDAs and just passed on information they've heard (see ThinkSecret).

Gizmodo is owned by Gawker Media, which would be a bad company to get on its bad side, though.

Well I could sue you for your hair color, but that's a far cry from getting past a motion to dismiss or for summary judgment. At least those "leaks" would make a strong case here in the states, but this story is governed by the ancient common law doctrine of finders keepers.
              Unbelievable!

Comment

There's a difference between finding a phone left in a strip club and paying Apple employees to violate disclosure agreements

I am going to sell my 3GS to get this phone because it will be able to multitask for real with its added RAM, and also 2 front facing cameras means you can have phone sex on it while listening to Pandora, etc.

Comment

Apple will undoubtedly disable any apps used for phone sex.
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    I'll be buying one of these when they are released in June.
                    I'm just going to download it for free a week before it's released.
                    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                    "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Wiglaf View Post
                      2 front facing cameras means you can have phone sex on it while listening to Pandora, etc.
                      You use a camera for Pandora?

Comment

Phone sex sounds really lame, honestly
                        If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
                        ){ :|:& };:

Comment

It's even more lame than you can ever imagine.

Wiglaf

Comment

The story of how it got lost.

Poor Gray

Comment

Always entertaining to read the Mac fanboy sites after a leak.

Half seem to think it's still a fake ("No way would Apple release something that ugly! It's clearly a prototype case only"), the others want Gizmodo to be criminally charged (!).

It's pretty ****ing awesome.

Comment

Working...
                              X