How do I figure out my computer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I figure out my computer?

I bought a new Dell with Windows 7 on it. Has old Office (on purpose). But I have the convertors and all that.

I am confused on how the directories and such work and just how to be a power user. I have always in the past, kept all of my work product or personal files in a directory C:data (and subordinate structure). Should I keep doing that or use some of the setup stuff like the "documents" or "pictures" or "downloads" directories?

Also, I have a lot of icons on my desktop. Should I get rid of them or keep them?

This is not a joke.

Also, there is something with IE, where when I have a few tabs open and go to close one, there is a big delay. What causes that and how do I get rid of it. Seems like a step backwards. (As while the delay goes on, I'm not even working in a different IE window/tab).

Comment

I'd use the Documents, Pictures, etc. They're actually stored in C:\Users\yourusername. But it makes backups, etc easier.

The icons on the desktop is a preference. Your call.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by TCO View Post
        Also, there is something with IE, where when I have a few tabs open and go to close one, there is a big delay. What causes that and how do I get rid of it. Seems like a step backwards. (As while the delay goes on, I'm not even working in a different IE window/tab).
        That's a new "feature" in the new IE. Each tab is actually its own program, essentially. It means if one tab crashes, you don't lose everything else.

You can't get rid of it -- but you can switch browsers.
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

I like pinning the most used stuff to the taskbar and then removing the corresponding desktop icons. Less clutter.
          Pool Manager - Lombardi Handicappers League - An NFL Pick 'Em Pool

https://youtu.be/HLNhPMQnWu4

Comment

The weird thing is I liked the "tab" feature in the past (when I had my old puter and the IE was upgraded and all.) But lately, it seems like they really don't seem to function separately and there is a delay in all the others while closing one.

I guess I could do separate windows vice separate tabs? Would that do better?

I downloaded Mozilla Firefox. Should I use that? Will there be a big learning curve? Could it be my long term solution? And will it not have those delays with tabs and such?

Comment

Also there is something lately where every couple hours or so, when I go to the ExRx site or to Nutrisystem site, I have to re-enter my login. In the past, I would log it once and it would stay fine for months. I wonder if there is some sort of setting that I need to toggle? My security is set at medium-high.

Comment

Dunno if it's just me, but my FF 3.6.3 sometimes stops for some seconds too (but when I open tabs, not when closing them). Hadn't noticed this under earlier versions....
                Blah

Comment

You can also right click on the Task Bar, go to Toolbars and check Desktop. All your desktop icons will go there and your desktop will be void of all icons. Desktop will now be on your Task Bar and you can access them from there.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

CHROME.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Last edited by ZEE; May 25, 2011, 12:58.
                      Order of the Fly
                      Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I need to buckle down and get on top of this ****. It actually holds back my productivity.

Comment

Working...
                        X