Justice Stevens says he will retire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Justice Stevens says he will retire.

He's on the liberal side of the SCotUS and 90 years old he says he wants to retire while Obama is President. Hopefully, Obama puts a real liberal and not some wishy washy centrist.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

I really wish i could explain the joys i get from one-starring Oerdin-Thrades™
    Order of the Fly
    Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

I see he posted something. Is it the usual drivel?

Comment

Oerdin proving that he's an idiot
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Here's hoping for another Souter.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I'd much rather see another Scalia

But fat chance with Obama as president.
            If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
            ){ :|:& };:

Comment

Just out of curiosity, why do you elect these judges based on political views instead of their legal capacities ?
              With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

We actually don't, the justices on the court only really have ideological differences with respect to the constitution. Pretty much only Sandra Day O'Connor and whoever that guy was that wrote the opinion for Roe v. Wade have sucked in terms of intelligence recently.

Comment

Sorry, my fault, I wasn't clear enough. What I meant was why you allow politicians to appoint theese judges.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Well, for starters, it's in the constitution, and the other thing is that it would be way worse if they were elected.

Comment

That's in the Constitution, too.

At 300+ million population, we have no lack of technically qualified jurists. It really comes down to the direction the current admiistration wants to go in.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

There really needs to a mandatory retirement age for federal judges.
                        Kids, you tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try. -Homer

Comment

"On the liberal side"???
                          He's the liberal anchor, the mainstay on the left. That's why he'll retire under Obama.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Which would be why I said, in the very first sentence "He's on the liberal side" meaning the liberal side of the court. I then said I hope his replacement is also a liberal and not a moderate. Other wise the right wing bias of the court gets pushed even further to the right.

The reason I'm a bit worried is Obama is always going out of his way to be a centrist instead of doing what his base wants him to do.

Comment

How many posts until this turns into an abortion thread?

Comment

Working...
                              X