Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Companies not hiring but stock piling cash.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Companies not hiring but stock piling cash.

The good news is the next jobs report is expected to add 190,000 new jobs which will mean last month was only the second month since Nov 2007 that the economy has added jobs but the bad news is most companies still have a wait and see attitude. You can tell because they've built up some impressive cash stock piles, estimated at $1.6 trillion (the highest ever recorded), but so far they're not spending it on expanding. On the upside when they finally decide to get off the fence companies will have record cash reserves to start the expansion.

Hoarding, Not Hiring – Corporations Stockpile Mountain of Cash
    Reluctant to Spend or Expand, U.S. Companies Are Sitting on a Record $1.6 Trillion

Hopes are running high that Friday's jobs data will bring happy news.

Economists predict the Labor Department will announce that 190,000 jobs were added in March, according to a Reuters poll. If true, it would be only the second monthly payroll gain since the recession began in 2007. The forecast is especially optimistic, considering that ADP Employer Services reported Wednesday that U.S. companies had slashed a surprisingly high 23,000 positions in March.

But even if labor's numbers turn out positive, Wilton, Conn., resident Sean Byrnes won't pay it much attention. About a month ago, the 41-year-old father of four lost his job as a salesman at a Manhattan-based financial research firm. He has struggled to find so much as even a job interview since then.

"I talk to headhunters and they say the same thing," he says. "No one is hiring."

Huge Cash Reserves

One piece of economic data that has caught the attention of Byrnes, and others in his predicament, is a fairly staggering figure that comes out of the Bureau of Economic Analysis: Despite widespread unemployment, the BEA reports that U.S. corporations, reluctant to expand in an uncertain economy, are sitting on $1.6 trillion in cash reserves, a record amount, according to BEA economist Greg Key.

Even looking at the companies in the Standard & Poor's 500 index of blue chips -- and stripping out financials, which are required by regulators to keep large cash reserves in order to cushion against risk -- the cash on hand number is still rather monstrous: $1.1 trillion. To put that in perspective, as a percentage of companies' total market capitalization, that $1.1 trillion is more than double the ratio seen before the crisis.

"Cash is piling up faster than companies can figure out what to do with it," said David Bianco, head of U.S. equity strategy at Bank of America.

Asked about the mountain of corporate money sitting on the sidelines, the out-of-work Byrnes offered his own suggestion for what to do with it.

"Companies should absolutely spend some of that money to put people back to work," Byrnes said by telephone earlier this week, clearly frustrated. "I suppose they need to make shareholders happy, but come on already." (story continues for two more pages)
    U.S. corporations, as of the end of 2009, were sitting on a staggering $1.6 trillion in internal funds available for investment, the highest level of year-end corporate cash ever recorded, according to Greg Key, an economist at the Bureau of Economic Analysis. Companies contained in the Standard & Poor's 500 index closed out the year with more than $830 billion in cash, a record, according to S&P. The blue chip cash figure is expected to exceed $1 trillion as of the end of the first quarter.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

This phenomenon is typical for this portion of the business cycle.

The world's no longer going to end, but businesses are still cautious in hiring. As it becomes more difficult to find increasing profits in their existing product lines, businesses will seek out new product lines -- which in turn requires hiring.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

They can't sit on it for long. It's drawing attention.
      I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
      - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

I've wondered where the stimulus money is... I still do
        Monkey!!!

Comment

It hasn't been spent yet. Which sort of defeats the whole point of "stimulus" if you ask me.
          If there is no sound in space, how come you can hear the lasers?
          ){ :|:& };:

Comment

I lost my last job because of the lack of stimulus funding

I won't be surprised if I lose my current one because of the "jobs" bill
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Working...
            X