No announcement yet.

"Representation" in democracy question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Representation" in democracy question?

Reading about the discord caused in the USA about this healthcare bill that just got passed, i noticed a point driven by opponents. If a goverment is really representative would it mean that it is basically does what the people want (ie mob mentality filtered to not harm smaller groups as much), or does a representative government mean doing what is best in spite of the the mobs wants?

So according to the founders of the constitution and government there were two schools of thought about this which both agreed on the creation of the system this country was made on.

To consider this in the USA, remember we are a people of highly poor secondary education, that don't have to be smart in order to get by well (we can be damn well stupid and still live okay, darwinism survival of the fittest doesn't apply to most of us).

For example, the average American wouldn't mind it if most of the middle east was bombed to the stone age as long as they didn't have to see the suffering on their tv, but is that really how we should go about things? Doing what the mob rule wants filtered or doing what is best for everybody?

Republicans have have turned into the mob, a party of liars, fear and hatemongers, and buzzword junkies. Attempting to do what the public wants but not necessarly what is best for them.

So what is correct, filtered mob mentality, or educated good intentions?

Which idea is going to win out, and which idea best suits humanity?
    "Our words are backed with NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"​​

Educated people usually make better decisions. While the system of government makes the input of the public important, the legislation is created by people who know what is going on. That's how it should be. I don't see this changing much so I guess "educated good intentions" will and should "win out".

Comment

Originally posted by gribbler View Post
      Smart people usually make better decisions. While the system of government makes the input of the public important, the legislation is created by people who know what is going on. That's how it should be. I don't see this changing much so I guess "educated good intentions" will and should "win out".
      FTFY

Overeducated stupidity is a horrible sight to behold. (looks self in the mirror)
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Working...
      X