Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Evolution of Symbolic Language

http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2010/0...=1&f=114424647

Language is in effect an emergent function, not some prior function that just required fine-tuning. Our inherited (“instinctive”) vocalizations, such as laughter, shrieks of fright, and cries of anguish, are under localized, mostly subcortical, neurological control, as are analogous instinctive vocalizations in other animals. By contrast, language depends on a widely dispersed constellation of cortical systems. Each system is also found in other primate brains, where they engage in other functions; their collective recruitment for language was apparently driven by the fact that their previously evolved functions overlapped with particular processing demands necessitated by language. Old structures came to perform unprecedented new tricks.
    This reduction of emotional and contextual constraint on sound production opens the door for numerous other influences to play a role, allowing many more brain systems to participate in vocal behavior, including socially acquired auditory experience. In fact, such freedom from constraint is an essential precondition for being able to correlate learned vocal behaviors with the wide diversity of objects, events, properties, and relationships that language is capable of referring to. Hence an evolutionary de-differentiation process, while clearly not the whole story, may be a part of the story for symbolic language evolution.

Some interesting comments also found on Razib's site:
    http://www.gnxp.com/wp/linguistics/t...bolic-language

Edit: Could some mod please change this to a [serious] thread? I forgot that no real discussion of the OP can take place otherwise.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; March 20, 2010, 17:32.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Why are all your threads so boring?

This one isn't racist, at least.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Well I, for one, am excited!

Oh wait, I've just had too much coffee today, that's why...
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

I talk with my hands? I'll start talking and then I'll look at my hands and I cant even interpret what I'm saying.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
          Why are all your threads so boring?

This one isn't racist, at least.
          Give it time.
          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

so the article is about sarcasm?
            I wasn't born with enough middle fingers.
            [Brandon Roderick? You mean Brock's Toadie?][Hanged from Yggdrasil]

Comment

Originally posted by self biased View Post
              so the article is about sarcasm?
              :Looks at avatar: XKCD sucks since summer 2009
              Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
              The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
              The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                Give it time.

Well played.
                Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Working...
                X