Having a bit o' trouble hearing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Having a bit o' trouble hearing

That is to say, I'm now 90% deaf in 1 ear. And the other is thinking about quitting.

A little more than a week ago I developed intense pain in my left ear. I mean REALLY f-in' painful. Usually if I'm hurting I can hide it pretty well but not this time. Went to the doctor and he said there didn't appear to be any damage (which was good since I had used a Q-tip earlier), but it was really red and he gave me some meds + vicodin. Well now the pain is gone but I still can't hear out of that ear unless it's a loud noise, and I've had episodes of vertigo thruout the week. My other ear is feeling a little pressure but hasn't gotten worse, thankfully.

It kinda feels like "swimmer's ear"... I keep waiting for the fluid (which I can definitely feel inside my ear) to suddenly drain out and my hearing being magically restored, but so far no luck.

loss of hearing
    getting old
    alternatives
    lighting a pack of BlackCat's and having the fuse burn too quickly so that when you throw them they explode only a few feet away from you and it's so ****ing loud that your ear rings for 3 days and you figure that someday you'll pay for that at the age of 18 and 20 years later it comes true
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

its probably just an infection man. whats meds did you get?
    Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

That sucks.

hope you're going back to the doc...soon?
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Snotty View Post
        its probably just an infection man. whats meds did you get?
        That what it's supposed to be, but it sure is taking it's time healing.

That sucks.

I've also developed a dual aversion/attraction to gay men and a desire to join the RCC. Stay tuned, you lusty bucket o' sin.
        I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

You might need a more colorful avatar.
          Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

I'm sorry Theben - what was it that you said?
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

You note "getting old". The only thing positive that I can offer is that it beats the alternative.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Did you note what I noted immediately under that?

Talk about getting old.

Comment

Most likely you blew your ear drum... though why the doc couldn't see that is beyond me.

For the one that feels like there is water on but didn't hurt I would get isopropyl alcohol and make a 1:1 solution with water and put it in there to dry up whatever it is that is in there.

The popped drum will just take several weeks to heal.

I get that almost everytime I get a cold, ever since I blew it the first time; got kicked in the head 10 feet under the water.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                    Did you note what I noted immediately under that?

Talk about getting old.
                    Damn. You're a crotchety old bastard, aren't you?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

[action=Asher]thwaps Slowwy with his cane.[/action]
                      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Thwap Theban, not me.

Comment

Vicodin
                          Being an idiot who won't go to the doctor until it's too late

It's unlikely your deafness is permanent. The infection possibly perforated your ear drum. That will heal and you'll be fine. It's gonna take some time.

It's the delicate little hairs inside your ear getting damaged that cause permanent hearing loss. For some reason, they don't grow back.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Probably because they need to be a very specific length, so the growth mechinism is completely shut down to avoid mishaps.
                            No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Mishap:

Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Working...
                              X