Limited liability. Look it up.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
      No, not with borrowed money.

Say I invest $100 with my own money, and the stocks go down far enough that I actually lose money - more than the $100 I started with.

edit: beaten to it

Comment

So the worst that could happen then is you go down to zero with the money you invested and you never would owe any money beyond what you had put in.

That's correct where limited company investment is concerned. Just stay clear of unlimited liability ventures, such as becoming a Lloyds "name".
        The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

My mom suggests Personal Finance for Dummies in addition to Investing for Dummies. Apparently, they do have robust sections for index funds and index ETFs.
          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Thank you Solomwi, DanS, Bugs, and Kuci for your posts.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

The best source for information of the financial stability of a company is 10-K filings by the company that can be found at the EDGAR database. Value oriented? Look at the companies Goodwill and past performance as well as other owners.

I follow my stocks daily, but I trade on a monthly and yearly schedule. I also follow a good amount of stocks that I don't own to learn market and industry trends as well as to determine entry points.

My checking account is linked to my Schwab account, however nothing is "Automatic". Meaning they need my permission to do any transfers. If you invest $100 and the stock goes to $0 you end with 0$, there isn't a charge for losing, though you can claim the loss against your income tax. Likewise, if you "win" then there will be capital gains tax which will be based on how long you held the stock before selling (33% for short, 15% for long).
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Yes, but can such 10-K filings be false or fraudalent? Thank you for your pointers, Japher.

Comment

Yes, but can such 10-K filings be false or fraudalent? Thank you for your pointers, Japher.
                  Absolutely they can (see, e.g., HealthSouth under Scrushy). Any filing can be fraudulent. Most won't be, because credibility is pretty important when one wants to attract investors, but caveat emptor.

You're welcome. Now go admit how wrong you are in the other thread.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi View Post
                    You're welcome. Now go admit how wrong you are in the other thread.
                    I don't know which other thread you're talking about.

Comment

Your 10-K is going to give you as much of the truth as you will be able to get without being guilty of insider trading.
                      Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm not talking about needing to know everything as an insider trader, Japher. I was just saying if companies have gotten away with lying or distorting facts/data that they already release to the public.

Comment

I would say that if you are investing with a limited bankroll, it rarely makes sense to invest in individual companies. As such, I wouldn't look at 10-Ks and the like, unless you're interested and curious about the financial situation of a company.

Personally, I look at my investments every day. But I could get by with glancing at them once every half year or so. By all means, it makes me no richer to look at them every day.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

All companies do that. The trick is learning when they are doing that. IMO, it's in the 10-K and in market trends. Why can Northwest have 3 mid-west hubs and none of the other airlines can? Well, they can't and we know it. Yet, when NW bought/merged with Delta that's what they got, yet they said their will be no hub closures... until now apparently. Note, for investor workforce reductions and consolidations are generally good things for the stock price (maybe not the value).

If you want to invest I would suggest you invest in value. IMO, this is what is meant by invest in what you know. If you invest in companies that value the same things you do you will be better able to spot the ones that are bringing more value at less cost. The other piece of the puzzle is knowing what value brings what cost. Should a company with $100M market cap have earnings equal to x times their shares? That's industry specific, and definitely something you should know.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Bugs ****ing Bunny View Post
                              That's correct where limited company investment is concerned. Just stay clear of unlimited liability ventures, such as becoming a Lloyds "name".
                              I thought Buffet took over that industry from a liability point of view about three years ago. If not, I may need to revisit some erroneous accounts.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher View Post
                                All companies do that. The trick is learning when they are doing that. IMO, it's in the 10-K and in market trends. Why can Northwest have 3 mid-west hubs and none of the other airlines can? Well, they can't and we know it. Yet, when NW bought/merged with Delta that's what they got, yet they said their will be no hub closures... until now apparently. Note, for investor workforce reductions and consolidations are generally good things for the stock price (maybe not the value).

If you want to invest I would suggest you invest in value. IMO, this is what is meant by invest in what you know. If you invest in companies that value the same things you do you will be better able to spot the ones that are bringing more value at less cost. The other piece of the puzzle is knowing what value brings what cost. Should a company with $100M market cap have earnings equal to x times their shares? That's industry specific, and definitely something you should know.
                                Sounds like good info - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X