Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krugman Catches Up with the Rest of Us

Good News About The WSJ
    Brad DeLong and Felix Salmon both point to evidence that the Murdoch effect is degrading the Journal’s news coverage. Indeed.

Frankly, there was a time when I thought the Journal was better on business/economic news than the Times. But no longer; and it’s not just things like referring to the estate tax as the “death tax” in news stories. Overall, coverage is getting cruder, with more tendency to report opinions as if they were news, and substitute prejudices for real analysis.

And this bad news is good news. There’s a pretty good chance that we will end up with only one great national newspaper. And I know which paper that should be …
    “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
    "Capitalism ho!"

I'm shocked that Brad DeLong and Paul Krugman would agree that the WSJ has become too conservative.

There’s a pretty good chance that we will end up with only one great national newspaper. And I know which paper that should be …

... the Washington Post!
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

“As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Good news! No one will read Krugman any more, starting next year.

Dept. Of Bad Ideas: NYT.com To Put Blogs Behind Paywall
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Bleh, I doubt it they will do it. Plus, their blogs are rarely that interesting.
          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
            I'm shocked that Brad DeLong and Paul Krugman would agree that the WSJ has become too conservative.

There’s a pretty good chance that we will end up with only one great national newspaper. And I know which paper that should be …

... the Washington Post!
            I was going to say Salon.com.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

I have my problems with the WSJ too. And coverage is uneven because it focuses on business. But it remains hands down the best national newspaper.

In fact, I would say that the lead has been widened rather substantially because the WSJ has been able to make money on its web version. The likes of the New York Times and the Washington Post have had to cut staff rather drastically.
              I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Salmon's criticism seemed valid, but it had little to do with the "Murdochization" that Krugman and DeLong are whining about.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

That would depend on what you mean by "Murdochization."

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                  I have my problems with the WSJ too. And coverage is uneven because it focuses on business. But it remains hands down the best national newspaper.

In fact, I would say that the lead has been widened rather substantially because the WSJ has been able to make money on its web version. The likes of the New York Times and the Washington Post have had to cut staff rather drastically.
                  Here I'd ask how you define best in terms of a national newspaper?
                  "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                    I was going to say Salon.com.
                    Eh, we outsourced totally. We go to the Economist when we want actual news and analysis. WaPo is for the funnies and amusingly stupid letters to the editor.
                    1011 1100
                    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

While the New York Times is cutting content, the WSJ is adding content, such as a new New York-focused section.

I have to hand it to Murdoch. He bought the best newspaper worldwide for a pretty penny and is investing substantial additional funds to grow it, even during a tortuous downturn.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Didn't you just say that?
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I have found the economist to be the most interesting recently.

JM
                          Jon Miller-
                          I AM.CANADIAN
                          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                            Didn't you just say that?
                            No

Comment

Ok. Well, whenever you feel like it, you can answer my question. You know, you are free to join in on the conversation anytime.
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X