Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mapping distribution of income by religion

http://awesome.good.is/transparency/...llar/flat.html

Interesting map. Jewish dominations doing better than everyone else is no suprise. What does suprise me is how close to them the Hindus come. I was expecting them to outperform average Chirstian Churches due to the selection of Indian immigrants coming to the us but I would have never guessed it was this high. Orthodox ones doing well is also unexpected for me since I expected a lot of Orthodox people coming in after the fall of the SU.

I wonder are less sucesfull Indian immigrants less likley to identify as Hindus? Also are the Jews being outperformed in all but the top bracket due to converts?

BTW The graph SUCKS who tought it was a good idea to take such simple information and try to make it cute or pretty?! Seriusly.
    Last edited by Heraclitus; February 25, 2010, 17:05.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Most Orthodox coming to the US are salaried professionals. Those of them who tile your bathroom or water your cucumber farms do not go farther than the EU. A lot of them are Catholics, as well.
    Graffiti in a public toilet
    Do not require skill or wit
    Among the **** we all are poets
    Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
      http://awesome.good.is/transparency/...llar/flat.html

Interesting map. Jewish dominations doing better than everyone else is no suprise. What does suprise me is how close to them the Hindus come. I was expecting them to outperform average Chirstian Churches due to the selection of Indian immigrants coming to the us but I would have never guessed it was this high. Orthodox ones doing well is also unexpected for me since I expected a lot of Orthodox people coming in after the fall of the SU.

I wonder are less sucesfull Indian immigrants less likley to identify as Hindus? Also are the Jews being outperformed in all but the top bracket due to converts?
      There is a very high amount of selection going on in the immigration process, so I don't think the high figures for Hindus are an anomaly. As far as identification - I don't think so.

What I find interesting is the fact that the Chinese and other assorted East Asians do not seem to be represented that well. What could be going on there? Because even considering the "Buddhist" and "Other" categories, none come close to the "Hinjew" percentages, which is decidedly odd given everything else we know.

Comment

The graph is obnoxious. Nothing really shocking either. Jews have money, and blacks don't. Any Klansman could tell you that much.
        John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
          What I find interesting is the fact that the Chinese and other assorted East Asians do not seem to be represented that well. What could be going on there? Because even considering the "Buddhist" and "Other" categories, none come close to the "Hinjew" percentages, which is decidedly odd given everything else we know.
          There simply are too many poor East Asian immigrants.
          Graffiti in a public toilet
          Do not require skill or wit
          Among the **** we all are poets
          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

what are you suggesting?
            Monkey!!!

Comment

Surely Scientology would trump them all if it was on there.
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by aneeshm View Post
                There is a very high amount of selection going on in the immigration process, so I don't think the high figures for Hindus are an anomaly. As far as identification - I don't think so.

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                There simply are too many poor East Asian immigrants.
                I don't see anything like Taoism or Confucianism represented in the graph. Many East Asians (esp. Koreans) are Christian or Muslim. I also asume many Chinese immigrants and their descendants are at least nominally Atheist.
                Also may be the case that Buddhists are represented by Sout East Asian groups more than North East asians.

I think part of the explanation may be in what Onodera cites (since I basically say as much in citing SE Asians) but I think its also a case of no single religion representing just North East Asians in a similar way to Hinduism tags Indians and certain Christian churches tag US Whites. The Other group is a mix of so many things from NeoPaganism to Animism to Vodoo to Coptic Churches to Cults that we can't really use that as a menaingfull proxy for Asians.

Also Asians immigrants have come in greater numbers than Indians for a longer time. It might just be a case of there not being enough US born Indians for regression to the mean to have a noticeable effect. Also the country is much more welcoming to non-whites than it was in the 19th this means they may have failed to accumulate as much wealth as later highly selected for immigrant groups will and we all know what a low % of kids do better than their parents in the US due to its social stratification.
                Last edited by Heraclitus; February 26, 2010, 16:25.
                Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Originally posted by Felch View Post
                  The graph is obnoxious. Nothing really shocking either. Jews have money, and blacks don't. Any Klansman could tell you that much.
                  Agreeing with the KKK on certain things. You must be a racist or somerhing.

Comment

Obviously the bigger religions are going to be lower.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                    X