Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What if the Chinese Government Bought Google?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if the Chinese Government Bought Google?

This is not related to the current China-Google standoff, I'm just using
    China as an example because it is rich enough and crazy enough.

Basically, since Google is a corporation with freely traded stock, anyone
    who can muster $50 billion or so (I'm lazy to check) can buy the controlling
    stake.

Given that much of my data (too much) is already with Google (I don't like
    the fact, but it's so damn... convenient) I'm worried what could happen in
    the event of a hostile takeover.

The Chinese government certainly doesn't care about my privacy, and by
    reading my Gmail-stored correspondence they could easily gather enough
    information to conquer the world, or at least to coerce me into spying
    for them or something.

This occurred to me as I am to upload yet another album of photos from my
    cellphone to Google's Picasa service. These are mostly photos of my city
    which I take every day during my commute to pass time. They must not fall
    into wrong hands, obviously.

Thoughts?

Google's shareholder voting structure was made like a newspaper's precisely for this reason (the Google Boys shares carry 10x the voting power). It would take much, much more than $50 billion for the Chinese to gain a controlling voting interest.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

China (or any other party) can only buy a controlling stake if enough existing shareholders decide to sell their shares to them. I believe Page and Brin hold something like 60% of the voting stock and I'm sure there are several large pension and mutual fund companies that own another good chunk. I really can't see them selling out to the Chinese government. Alternatively, if the Chinese government offered a stupid amount for the shares, existing shareholders may cash out and just let the whole thing collapse.
      "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
      "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
      "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

See "Corporate Structure" at...

I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
          See "Corporate Structure" at...

http://investor.google.com/ipo_letter.html
          Thanks. Just read it. I wasn't aware of that. It's somewhat reassuring,
          though in the long run (five decades or so) who knows. Chinese are
          extremely long term players, and who can say what Sergey's or Brin's
          descendants might think about ideals of their parents. By that time
          I'll be dead? Don't bet on it!

Comment

And by that time, China might not be a dictatorship.

Comment

See Google's proxy, which lays out the voting power as of February 17, 2009 at...

Under "Common Stock Ownership of Certain Beneficial Owners and Management," you will see all of the voting power. In addition to Brin and Page, who had 58% of the voting power, Schmidt had 10%.

But if you insist on being worried, I would look down to John Doerr, who had 2%. Doerr has expressed admiration for Singapore's model.

Comment

Singapore's model of...?
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Benevolent dictatorship?

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                    And by that time, China might not be a dictatorship.
                    And the US might be......
                    “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I don't think the US will ever transform into a dictatorship. You'll take your Constitution to the grave.

Comment

if China could buy it, wouldn't someone - like the sellers - start "Google This" to take China's business

Comment

An answer to the thread question could be that a search for "*****" would hit on a photo of a cat.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                          X