Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does The US Need So Many Intelligence Agencies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does The US Need So Many Intelligence Agencies?

This thought came out of the blue while I was looking at wiki on a Brit show I was watching. Spooks. While looking at the various British Intelligence Agencies I decide to look at the number of US agencies and was appalled to find 16 of them. Not to mention the number we may not know about. Do we really need that many?

each branch of the military has one. The Department of Energy has one (nuclear related I assume? ) But seriously 16?

Could an argument be made that the more people watching the greater chance of catching something or perhaps preventing one agency from being too powerful?

Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

No.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I does seem absurd. But then we're talking about the US government here.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Whats more absurd is when this very problem of duplication was discovered or rather exposed by the 9/11 commission, what was their response? They created another one, and then added another tier at that
        Last edited by Patroklos; February 19, 2010, 14:33.
        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Yeah, wasn't Homeland Security supposed to consolidate this stuff? Apparently it was just added on top?

-Arrian
          grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Correct. Correct.

Whats more, all of those agencies still report to who they did before for the most part, only now they also report to Homeland Security.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Correct. Correct.

No.

Whats more, all of those agencies still report to who they did before for the most part, only now they also report to Homeland Security.

Incorrect; they all report to the new Director of National Intelligence. Homeland Security is just one department among many.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian View Post
                I does seem absurd. But then we're talking about the US government here.

-Arrian
                Yeah, I agree - I does seem absurd.
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

About the only thing these agencies seem to actually do is provide jobs for officials in Washington.

What would be the ideal intelligence structure.
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Each Service has it's own Intel Agency, so that's 5 right there.

NSA is suppose to be with code-cracking and ELINT/SIGINT stuff...that's 6

DIA is the DoD's consolidated Intel Agency, which does a wide variaty of stuff.

CIA is suppose to be HUMINT, but Ironically, DIA does quite a bit of that.(duplication of effort 1)

NRO takes pictures.

NGA makes maps(Dupe 2)

DOE is in charge of nukes, so they get one.

Treasury has to keep track fo financial shenanighans(very successful at it) so they get one.

Some of the ones listed *I* wouldn't list as an intel agency(USSS,NCIS,CGIS) but whatever.

Soooo...yeah, some duplication of effort, some empire-building, and some with reasonable requirements. Obviously the USN feels that they need their own intel agency for Naval-related stuff, same with the USAF, etc..
                    Today, you are the waves of the Pacific, pushing ever eastward. You are the sequoias rising from the Sierra Nevada, defiant and enduring.

Comment

As amusing as the thread title was, I've changed it.
                      Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

I assume the idea is that, as they work so poorly, you have massive redundant backups.
                        1011 1100
                        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

The problem associated with 9/11 failure, the so-called "failure to connect the dots" was the exact same explanation given for the failure to apprehend the "Underwear" bomber in Michigan. So 10 years, billions of dollars, and a great deal of intelligence "reform" and they get the same result. Luckily the Underwear bomber was a moron.

Funny thing is, he was actually tracked and identified as a terrorist, but he was allowed on the plane by the State Dept.! They have a policy to allow free movement of terrorists in order "track" them, and supposedly get better intel or operational info.

So 10 years, billions of dollars, and much reform later, and they're allowing known terrorists to travel freely (by not revoking visas), and practically invited this guy to destroy an airplane and kill hundreds of people.

Truly, it boggles.

Comment

Working...
                          X