Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should we be copying Hawaii's universal health care plan?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should we be copying Hawaii's universal health care plan?

I was recently watching the Daily Show where John Oliver clowns Republicans bashing universal health care while at a conference in Hawaii, a state which has universal health care, and some of the lowest health care costs in the country. Here's the clip:

The source for The Daily Show fans, with episodes hosted by Jon Stewart, Ronny Chieng, Jordan Klepper, Dulcé Sloan and more, plus interviews, highlights and The Weekly Show podcast.

The best stuff starts around 2:25 but even John Stewart's set up at the beginning was great. Seriously, watch that clip because it is fan-****ing-tastic. After watching the clip I decided to do a bit more research and came up with this NYTs article about health care in Hawaii.

In Hawaii’s Health System, Lessons for Lawmakers

HONOLULU — Imee Gallardo, 24, has been scooping ice cream at a Häagen-Dazs shop at Waikiki Beach for five years, and during that time the shop has done something its counterparts on the mainland rarely do: it has paid for her health care.

Ms. Gallardo cannot imagine any other system.

“I wouldn’t get coverage on the mainland?” Ms. Gallardo asked. “Even if I worked? Why?”

Since 1974, Hawaii has required all employers to provide relatively generous health care benefits to any employee who works 20 hours a week or more. If health care legislation passes in Congress, the rest of the country may barely catch up.

Lawmakers working on a national health care fix have much to learn from the past 35 years in Hawaii, President Obama’s native state.

Among the most important lessons is that even small steps to change the system can have lasting effects on health. Another is that, once benefits are entrenched, taking them away becomes almost impossible. There have not been any serious efforts in Hawaii to repeal the law, although cheating by employers may be on the rise.

But perhaps the most intriguing lesson from Hawaii has to do with costs. This is a state where regular milk sells for $8 a gallon, gasoline costs $3.60 a gallon and the median price of a home in 2008 was $624,000 — the second-highest in the nation. Despite this, Hawaii’s health insurance premiums are nearly tied with North Dakota for the lowest in the country, and Medicare costs per beneficiary are the nation’s lowest.

Hawaii residents live longer than people in the rest of the country, recent surveys have shown, and the state’s health care system may be one reason. In one example, Hawaii has the nation’s highest incidence of breast cancer but the lowest death rate from the disease.

Why is Hawaiian care so efficient? No one really knows.

In dozens of interviews, doctors and hospital and insurance executives in Hawaii offered many theories, including an active population that is culturally disinclined to hospitals, a significant military presence and a health care market dominated by a few not-for-profit organizations.

But there was another answer: With nearly 90 percent of the populace given relatively generous benefits, patients stay healthy and health providers have the money and motivation to innovate.

If true, it’s a crucial lesson. Health care overhaul efforts at the state and national levels have so far been largely confined to providing bare-bones insurance coverage to those in need. But changing the way care is provided has been given short shrift, and medical experts warn that costs could soar if overhaul legislation passes. After expanding coverage in 2006, Massachusetts is only now tackling the cost problem as expenses continue their inexorable rise.

But the Hawaii experience suggests that overhauling health insurance before changing the way care is provided could work, eventually. With more people given access to care, hospital and insurance executives in Hawaii say they have been able to innovate efficiencies. For instance, the state’s top three medical providers are adopting electronic medical records — years ahead of most mainland counterparts.

The Hawaii Medical Service Association, the state’s largest insurer and a Blue Cross Blue Shield member, recently offered the nation’s only statewide system whereby anyone for a nominal fee can talk by phone or e-mail, day or night, to doctors of their choosing.

Kaiser Permanente Hawaii, which covers about 20 percent of the state’s population, screens 85 percent of its female members ages 42 to 69 for breast cancer, among the highest screening rates in the country.

One result of Hawaii’s employer mandate and the relatively high number of people with health insurance is that hospital emergency rooms in the state are islands of relative calm. In 2007, the state had 264 outpatient visits to emergency rooms per 1,000 people — 34 percent lower than the national average of 401.

Dr. Ray Sebastian splits his time between the emergency room at Kapi’olani Medical Center at Pali Momi and a hospital in Los Angeles. Nearly all of his poorest patients in Hawaii have routine access to family doctors who can provide follow-up care, while fewer than half of those in Los Angeles do, he estimated. So, he said, the emergency room in Hawaii is not clogged with patients suffering minor problems like medication adjustments and cold symptoms, and patient waiting times are a small fraction of those in Los Angeles:

“It’s like greased lightning here,” he said.

Other states tried employer-mandated care only to repeal the efforts after employers threatened to move across state lines. Hawaii’s isolation forestalled such threats, and its paternalistic plantation history made employer-provided care an easy fit.

In interviews, leaders and employers in Hawaii referred with surprising earnestness to an “aloha spirit” and a sense of familial obligation known as ohana to justify providing care to nearly everyone.

Hospital executives said they never overbuilt their facilities because the Pacific Ocean meant they could not delude themselves into thinking, as their mainland counterparts sometimes do, that they would be able to attract patients from afar.

Since supply tends to drive demand in health care, this may be one reason Hawaii residents use fewer health care services — they get a third fewer magnetic resonance imaging tests and are admitted to the hospital 26 percent less than the United States average.

There are clear problems with Hawaii’s system. Hospitals on the outer islands are small and losing money. With unemployment rising, so, too, are the ranks of the uninsured — which is now 10.7 percent of nonelderly adults. Only Massachusetts has a lower share of uninsured adults, and the national share is 20.4 percent. And there is growing evidence that as the economy has slowed and premiums have risen, employers have hired more part-time workers who are ineligible for benefits.

Barbara Zacchini, owner of Pizzeria Zacchini on the island of Hawaii, said she makes sure that her 17 part-timers work less than 20 hours a week so she does not have to pay for their care.

“I’m for universal health care,” Ms. Zacchini said, “but it’s tough to run a business in this state and in this economy.”

Some employers are ducking the law altogether. A 61-year-old travel agent in Honolulu said her boss refused to provide health insurance although he is required by law to do so. She cannot find another job, so she asked that her name not be used.

She has not been to a primary-care doctor or a gynecologist in years and goes to the emergency room when she needs care. “I could have an alien called cancer growing inside me, but who knows?” she said. “It worries me.”

Hawaii law requires employers to offer standardized health plans with low co-pays, no deductibles and few out-of-pocket costs. Cliff Cisco, a senior vice president at the Hawaii Medical Service Association, said that having a standardized and popular benefit has helped keep administrative costs to just 7 percent of revenue, among the lowest in the nation.

Indeed, many in Hawaii are worried that legislation moving through Congress could, if it supersedes Hawaii law, allow employers to reduce the quality of care provided. So legislators in Hawaii have pushed for provisions exempting the state.

Chad Buck, owner of Hawaii Food Service Alliance, a grocery distribution company with 140 employees, said he feared national health care legislation might allow his competitors to provide low-cost, high-deductible plans in place of the generous benefits now required by the state.

“I don’t want to compete against low-quality health care, and I don’t want my employees to have a cheap second,” Mr. Buck said.

Richard Caldarazzo, 25, a manager at Lulu’s Waikiki Surf Club, said he had worked at restaurants in Ann Arbor, Mich., and Chicago and had never gotten health insurance.

After he moved to Hawaii and got a job at Lulu’s, “I was really surprised when they told me I’d get insurance,” Mr. Caldarazzo said. “My parents couldn’t believe it.”

So what do you folks think about Hawaii's health care?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Man, it must suck to be a 24-year old and have your wages lowered (in one of the most expensive places to live in the country, no less) to pay for a generous healthcare package you'll most likely never take full advantage of.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Yup, otherwise life is great for everyone.
      “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
      "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

You mean the older people with real jobs who also have employer-based insurance in the rest of the country?
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I also love that Oerdin is touting Hawaii's "universal" healthcare system when the article he quoted points out that 10.7% of non-elderly adults in Hawaii don't have health insurance...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I don't like that so much.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

This thread is a perfect example of the major mistakes of yours that I need to correct, Oerdin. Thank you for creating such an illustrative demonstration of what we were discussing in the organic food thread.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Why is Hawaiian care so efficient? No one really knows.

Can always count on the Times to not get to the bottom of things.

Comment

Why would anyone get sick in Hawaii? Dental care, yeah maybe. Scooping ice cream can't be too stressful, their heart should be fine.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                    This thread is a perfect example of the major mistakes of yours that I need to correct, Oerdin. Thank you for creating such an illustrative demonstration of what we were discussing in the organic food thread.
                    You're a liar as usual.

Hawaii's health care system insures over 95% of residents.
                    That's close enough in my book, you liar.

Comment

I also love that Oerdin is touting Hawaii's "universal" healthcare system when the article he quoted points out that 10.7% of non-elderly adults in Hawaii don't have health insurance...
                      The state government says it health insurance is provided to over 95% of the population so it's ****ing VERY close and as usual you're just trying to be a pedant because you're to ****ing stupid to contribute something meaningful to the conversation. You know it, I know it. In fact most of that less then 5% are people who are not legal residents of Hawaii and who don't work in Hawaii and so are not covered. Basically illegals, long term vacationers, and unemployed people who haven't been in the state long enough to establish residency.

Yes, those are kind of the limits to what can be done on the state level instead of the Federal level but they literally got every legal resident and working person covered so I count that as pretty universal. So take your idiotic comments and blow them out your ass.

Comment

Drake, I believe it's your turn. DaShi, come on over here and keep your nose up Drake's ass.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

"Pretty universal"?

"almost pregnant"?

"half dead"?

It either is or it isn't.
                          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
                          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

State - Population Density (2007, persons per km2)

Hawaii - 77

New Jersey - 452
                            Rhode Island - 391
                            New York - 158
                            Florida - 131

Illegal immigrants? Hawaii doesn't have any.

Issues with cross-border treatment? Hawaii doesn't have any.

International border issues? Hawaii doesn't have any.

If we are gonna use Hawaii as a template, why not Guam or Midway Island?

Or... we could drop a few million uneducated and unofficially employed Mexicans into Hawaii, build a bridge for them to flow in at thousands per day, and then see how that system holds up.
                            Last edited by Ecofarm; February 13, 2010, 12:04.
                            Everybody knows...Democracy...One of Us Cannot be Wrong...War...Fanatics

Comment

Man, it must suck to be a 24-year old and have your wages lowered (in one of the most expensive places to live in the country, no less) to pay for a generous healthcare package you'll most likely never take full advantage of.
                              Yeah, it doesn't suck to have low wages and high rent, just have to pay for your health care.
                              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Working...
                              X