Thread in which we discuss The Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thread in which we discuss The Wire

Dude, is Omar that most badass queer of all times or what?
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

That show was cool like three years ago. Did it just make it to Nebraska or something?
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

whoosh
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

This sounds like a fun thread - now, where is my popcorn
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Great show (until they jumped the shark in season 5...)
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

Yeah, season five sucked balls. Season three was the best.
            "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

Love the name of McNullty.
              Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
              I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
              Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The fifth season has some good ideas but it laid it on much too thick and ended up being the weakest. As most people say, the 3rd Season is the best but the 2nd has a lot of good stuff going for it as well despite what a lot of people say. It gave us the Greek afterall, who along with Lester Freamon is easily the coolest character in the show
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Have watched them all again in the last year and for me Season 4 was the strongest, it's the crushing inevitability of the kids decline. Season 2 surprises you with how good it was when you watch it again. The first time I was just annoyed it wasn't more of season 1. Ziggy's arc is brilliant.

5 is the weakest purely because the fake serial killer thing seems so ludicrous, and the newspaper infighting seems like it's interesting to David Simon, but not really to us. But there are some great moments and story arcs in it. Mcnulty's wake, Omar's death, Daniel's inevitable shafting with the stats, Marlo's move on the co-op and everything involving Method Man/Cheese, the whole storyline with Herc and Levy.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

3>4>2>1>5

Rewatching it right now. In the middle of the fourth.

It's hard for me to pick between three and four. Three goes heavy into the mechanics of the black market and has Stringer Bell, while four does local politics.

And while five is last, it still is better than virtually everything else on television, and it has some fantastic stories as Mike says. The last few episodes were very, very good. The way they showed the permanence of the institutions in the city, and continuity of institutional roles was very clever. Michael becomes Omar. Daniels becomes Burrell. Carcetti becomes Royce. Clay Davis survives. Co-ops collapse. Kids get shafted.
                    Last edited by Ramo; February 10, 2010, 12:52.
                    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
                    -Bokonon

Comment

4>1>3>2>5
                      Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                      We've got both kinds

Comment

I think the problem with four and five is that they focus too much on City Hall and high level police department politics. I enjoyed the more "street" leve feal of 1,2 and 3. The School arc was good and was definetly down to earth, but there was still all that boring City Hall BS.
                        "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I started watching it in three, and saw the first and second after that. Four was the strongest when you step back, but the third season is what got me hooked.
                          John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo View Post
                            And while five is last, it still is better than virtually everything else on television, and it has some fantastic stories as Mike says. The last few episodes were very, very good. The way they showed the permanence of the institutions in the city, and continuity of institutional roles was very clever. Michael becomes Omar. Daniels becomes Burrell. Carcetti becomes Royce. Clay Davis survives. Co-ops collapse. Kids get shafted.
                            I missed your edit yesterday. Also, Dookie becomes Bubbles.

Really glad that Poot and Bubbles seem to escape the game by the end. The only two that really manage it.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

Working...
                            X