Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "That is fraudulent!"

So I get a call today at work.

WOMAN: Is this where you sign up for census work?
    ELOK: Yes it is, ma'am. What county do you live in?
    WOMAN: (some place I never heard of which is not on the Eastern Shore of MD)
    ELOK: I'm sorry, what state is that in?
    WOMAN: Ohio.
    ELOK: Ah. I'm sorry, but you've called the wrong number, ma'am. This is the Easton, Maryland office, we can't sign people up for testing in Ohio from here.
    WOMAN: What? This is the number they gave me to call.
    ELOK: Yeah, we've had problems with that. It's a computer error or something, the zip codes are similar. Were you referred here by [national census jobs line]? Yes? Hmm. I'm sorry, but I don't know what to tell you then, to be honest. That's the only number we have to refer you to.
    WOMAN: They said you could help me here! That's false advertisement!
    ELOK, TRYING TO LAUGH SILENTLY AND AWAY FROM THE RECEIVER: False advertisement? No, it's just a mistake, people from Ohio get referred here by mistake sometimes--
    WOMAN: They said you could help me here and you're not helping me. You advertise a service, you have to offer it! That is false advertisement and it is fraudulent! Blah blah blah crap you can't make out since I'm an elderly woman getting very angry now!

At this point, my supervisor saw I was paralyzed with laughter and told me to transfer the lady. She managed to calm the mad old hag down somehow and bumped her back to the same number she got us from. She went through the process again and got a coworker of mine, who bumped her back AGAIN, and that was the last we heard from her AFAIK. Lesson learned: if they're angry and stupid, don't try reasoning with them, just chuck them through the loop to drown.

But where the hell do these dolts come from?
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I work in retail. I've come to the inescapable conclusion that old people are flat out stupid, and should not be allowed out in public alone.

Seriously, if an elderly (ie, over 65) person has a question it is almost invariably regarding cordless telephones or small household appliances. In other words, not worth my time. You ****ing old piece of ****, it doesn't matter what cordless phone you buy, they all do the same goddamn thing, and by the way, so does your dishwasher. ****! Give it a ****ing rest!
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
    Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

But where the hell do these dolts come from?
      Ohio.
      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
        I work in retail.
        At your age?
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
        Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Yep. In related news, my job is probably more stable than yours.
          Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/DaveDaDouche
          Read my seldom updated blog where I talk to myself: http://davedadouche.blogspot.com/

Comment

Anyway sounds like your service has a problem. Tell them to shape up!
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
              Ohio.
              That's the thing, everyone else who's suffered the Ohio glitch has been reasonable. It's just this one mad woman.

Oh, and also this guy who wrote on his test form, in the spot reserved for explaining yourself if you're an ex-con/tax delinquent/recently fired/etc: "I am 78 years old." Apropos of absolutely nothing, he hadn't checked any boxes even, he just felt like telling us his age for some reason. But I liked that guy, I hope they hire him. They probably will.
              1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by David Floyd View Post
                Yep. In related news, my job is probably more stable than yours.
                Probably. I'm sure I get paid far more with better benefits, though.

My time unemployed is very slim when it happens. Measured in weeks.
                "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                  That's the thing, everyone else who's suffered the Ohio glitch has been reasonable. It's just this one mad woman.

Oh, and also this guy who wrote on his test form, in the spot reserved for explaining yourself if you're an ex-con/tax delinquent/recently fired/etc: "I am 78 years old." Apropos of absolutely nothing, he hadn't checked any boxes even, he just felt like telling us his age for some reason. But I liked that guy, I hope they hire him. They probably will.
                  You guys couldn't have just told the crazy lady the correct number to call? Especially if you've gotten several calls from Ohio?
                  Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

They had one number. They gave it to her. Ohioan?
                    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                      Ohio.
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Easton, eh? I'm sorry for you.

I grew up in Salisbury.
                        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Eh, I actually like it out here. Sure, the grocery's a ten-minute drive away, but there's no crime and everyone's friendly. It's an asocial person's paradise, or would be if there were better internet access.
                          1011 1100

Comment

OMG, ten minutes to drive to the grocery? TEN WHOLE MINUTES! What will you do if you just have to get something in nine minutes? Oh, the humanity...

(\__/) Save a bunny, eat more Smurf!
                            (='.'=) Sponsored by the National Smurfmeat Council
                            (")_(") Smurf, the original blue meat! © 1999, patent pending, ® and ™ (except that "Smurf" bit)

Comment

Working...
                            X