Catcher in the sky R.I.P.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catcher in the sky R.I.P.

J.D. Salinger, the famously reclusive author whose 1951 novel, "The Catcher in the Rye," became a touchstone for generations of readers, has died. He was 91.

The author died Wednesday of natural causes at his home in New Hampshire, according to a family statement that his literary agent, Phyllis Westberg, provided Thursday.

"Despite having broken his hip in May, his health had been excellent until a rather sudden decline after the new year," the statement said. "He was not in any pain before or at the time of his death."

Salinger has long been known for his reclusiveness, and "in keeping with his life long, uncompromising desire to protect and defend his privacy there will be no service," the statement said.

"The family asks that people's respect for him, his work, and his privacy be extended to them, individually and collectively, during this time."

Though he wrote more than 30 short stories and a handful of novellas -- many published in The New Yorker and collected in works such as "Nine Stories" and "Seymour: An Introduction" -- Salinger's fame rests on "Catcher," his only novel.

The book is narrated by a teenage boy, Holden Caulfield, who is expelled from a private school, Pencey Prep, in Pennsylvania, and spends the next three days wandering around New York. Caulfield is mistrustful of authority, railing against corrupt adults and "phonies," and plans to decamp for the west.

"An unusually brilliant first novel," The New York Times called it, one of many raves.

Though intended for adult readers, the book touched a nerve among teenagers attracted by Caulfield's nonconformist attitudes and has remained a best-seller since its release. It has gone through dozens of printings in its simple mass-market paperback edition, clad in a simple maroon cover adorned with the title and author's name on the front and back.

It's also been a lightning rod for controversy. Schools have banned it -- troubled by Caulfield's language and attitude as well as his adventures with a prostitute -- and some readers have been obsessed by it, most infamously Mark David Chapman, who murdered John Lennon in 1980.

In 2009, Salinger -- always protective of his work -- sued to stop the publication, sale and advertisement of "60 Years Later: Coming Through the Rye," a novel written by an author calling himself J.D. California.

Jerome David Salinger was born January 1, 1919, in New York City, the son of Sol -- a wealthy meat importer -- and Miriam Salinger. He attended Valley Forge Military Academy in Pennsylvania and spent time at three colleges. He published his first stories in the early 1940s.

In 1942, he joined the U.S. Army. He fought in the D-Day invasion at Normandy as well as the Battle of the Bulge, but suffered a nervous breakdown and checked himself into an Army hospital in Germany in 1945. In December of that year, "I'm Crazy," the first story featuring Caulfield, was published in Collier's.

In 1947, his short story "A Perfect Day for Bananafish," featuring the troubled Seymour Glass, was published in The New Yorker. The Glass family, a group of bright siblings who agonized over their lives, would become the subject of many subsequent stories, all of which were published in The New Yorker and later collected in "Nine Stories," "Franny and Zooey" and "Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction."

His last published story, "Hapworth 16, 1924," appeared in 1965.

In his later life, Salinger became as well-known for his desire for privacy as his work, and when that privacy was shattered, he would sometimes lash out with lawsuits. A 1987 biography by Ian Hamilton was blocked by a U.S. appellate court; it eventually appeared, in heavily revised form, as "In Search of J.D. Salinger." Salinger also sued a writer, Stephen Kunes, for impersonating him.

He had a nine-month affair with the teenage Joyce Maynard in the early '70s; she later wrote about it in a memoir and auctioned off his letters. (The buyer, Peter Norton, said he would return the letters to Salinger.)

Salinger's daughter, Margaret, wrote a memoir, "Dream Catcher," which was published in 2000. Neither Maynard's nor Margaret Salinger's books were positive, describing the author as controlling and having a host of unusual habits, including drinking his own urine.

Throughout it all, Salinger remained determinedly reserved. He gave interviews sparingly, the last one in 1981 to The (Baton Rouge, Louisiana) Advocate. Occasionally he would release terse statements about his work.

Thursday's statement from Salinger's literary agent acknowledged the writer's isolation.

"Salinger had remarked that he was in this world but not of it. His body is gone but the family hopes that he is still with those he loves, whether they are religious or historical figures, personal friends or fictional characters," the statement said.

"He will be missed by the few he was close to every bit as much as by the readers who loved reading him."
    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Catcher in the Rye sucked.
    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
    Stadtluft Macht Frei
    Killing it is the new killing it
    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I think that observation sums up your maturity level and common sense completely.
      The wife kicking you around again today?

RIP
      Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
      "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
      He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Howard Zinn also died. A People's History of the United States did not suck.

Comment

Slowwy, reading the illustrated version doesn't count
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

rip

havent read the book though

Comment

Good Salinger obit here

Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

One post, two post
                Red post, blue post
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Forced to read Catcher my junior year in HS and resented it greatly. But Salinger was a talented writer. It's a shame he left us such a small catalog.

RIP
                  Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                  RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

I thought it was a good book.

RIP, JD Salinger.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

I tried reading it. I couldn't stomach his writing style.

RIP to him and Howard Zinn.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Had no choice but to read it in High School. It seemed "OK" at the time. I read it later on in life, and it was actually a good read.

RIP
                        Keep on Civin'
                        RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

After you had matured?

Maybe someday when you grow up, you'll like it better, KH. Adults see things differently than children. Keep the faith.
                          Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                          "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                          He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Sweetheart, catcher is among the most sophomoric works considered great literature

If you could read you would know that
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Now if only we could bury his book with him
                              Stadtluft Macht Frei
                              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment