State of the Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
    I didn't watch the speech, but I did catch one particularly shameless bit when I went to get something to eat. Watch as President Obama (the only presidential candidate to ever opt out of the public campaign financing system and the recipient of record amounts of Wall Street campaign donations) bemoans the effect of corporate money on future elections.

As far as I recall pretty much every serious candidate in recent memory opted out of the public financing system.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

He's making an arbitrary distinction between the general election (where public financing is good) and the primary (where it's bad).
      "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
      -Bokonon

Comment

As far as I recall pretty much every serious candidate in recent memory opted out of the public financing system.

You recall wrongly. And yes, I'm talking about general elections.

edit: I'm also only talking about general elections since 1976, when the system we have for public financing of Presidential elections went into effect. Imagine that!
        Last edited by Drake Tungsten; January 28, 2010, 23:06.
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
        X