Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France one step closer to banning the full face veil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• France one step closer to banning the full face veil.

Nice to see one country still has the balls to stand up for its values.

As MPs in France today rubber-stamped proposals to partially ban Muslim women from wearing the full veil, President Nicolas Sarkozy said the freedom of worship was one of the "basic freedoms guaranteed by our constitution".

While on a visit to war graves – many of them Muslim – near Arras in north-east France, he said: "Islam is now the religion of many French people and our country, having known both wars of religion and fratricidal battles of state anti-clericalism, cannot let French Muslim citizens be stigmatised. I will not let anyone lead my country down this regressive path."

In Paris, however, battle raged as the results of a six-month inquiry into the full veil culminated in a stormy presentation to parliament in which the report was nearly derailed at the last minute.

André Gerin, the Communist MP presiding over the committee, said the report, which recommends banning the veil in public places such as hospitals, school entrances, post offices and public transport, sent a clear signal that it was not compatible with French values.

"Behind the full veil hide scandalous practices that are contrary to our history," he said. "In order to say no to the full veil we are determined to wage a controlled political battle against fundamentalism … [so that] we can work towards an Islam which is compatible with the republic."

However, while the ban might seem extreme outside France, many MPs in Paris argued the proposals did not go far enough. Several in Sarkozy's UMP party denounced them as "a half law". They would like to see women barred from wearing the full veil anywhere in public.

In a fresh sign of the tensions surrounding the debate, a moderate imam in the Parisian suburb of Drancy today said he had been targeted by about 80 people who broke into his mosque and shouted abuse at him. Hassen Chalghoumi, who had spoken out last week in favour of a ban on the burka, was threatened on Monday night by the gang, which called him an apostate and an "imam for Jews".
    Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

I can just imagine that alot of Muslim women won;t be allowed to leave the house.

False imprisonment anybody?
    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Finally at least one country is starting to address the issue of cultural colonialism at the hands of Islam. People need to wake up and realize that Islam is fundamentally at odds with western culture.

Comment

You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Mucked http://apolyton.net/forums/showthread.php?t=189940
          RoboCon v2.1.1

Comment

Does this mean that judges and procecutors must wear masks ?
            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

It's win-win. The reformists get to take off their veils and the kooks won't immigrate to France anymore.

I kid, of course. The politicians are just scoring points with the Righties ahead of elections by catering to anti-Islamic rhetoric.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Did you miss this bit?
                André Gerin, the Communist MP presiding over the committee, said the report, which recommends banning the veil in public places such as hospitals, school entrances, post offices and public transport, sent a clear signal that it was not compatible with French values.

"Behind the full veil hide scandalous practices that are contrary to our history," he said. "In order to say no to the full veil we are determined to wage a controlled political battle against fundamentalism … [so that] we can work towards an Islam which is compatible with the republic."
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)
                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by MOBIUS View Post
                  Nice to see one country still has the balls to stand up for its values.

Since Wales never had any values to begin with, there's no worries about standing up for them.
                  Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                  "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                  He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Originally posted by Theben View Post
                    I kid, of course. The politicians are just scoring points with the Righties ahead of elections by catering to anti-Islamic rhetoric.
                    I don't think it's about that at all (especially as NYE notes about the Communist). It's about the fact that there are instances where wearing a full veil shouldn't be allowed, like going to school, going to the hospital and driving for instance.

We're too busy being all nicey-nicey trying to respect the religious rights of people we've forgotten about our own rights in our own country!

[/Daily Mail Rant]

Comment

We're too busy being all nicey-nicey trying to respect the religious rights of people we've forgotten about our own rights in our own country!
                      Yes, it's called multi-culturalism. Why are you such a racist? You clearly just don't understand the love and joy that is Islam. You should stand trial for your hate speech.

Comment

Originally posted by Warui View Post
                        Yes, it's called multi-culturalism. Why are you such a racist? You clearly just don't understand the love and joy that is Islam. You should stand trial for your hate speech.
                        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
                        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
                        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Finally at least one country is starting to address the issue of cultural colonialism at the hands of Islam. People need to wake up and realize that Islam is fundamentally at odds with western culture.

Who is this ******?

Comment

This isn't much different from when they banned people from wearing hoodies in supermarkets, which I was against.
                            Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                            Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                            We've got both kinds

Comment

I'm not saying they should be banned outright. I am saying that they should not be worn in certain circumstances, such as driving a car etc.

Comment

Working...
                              X