Help Kiddy Choose a Church

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cant see the sky from inside a cave

but I pray whenever I need to pray, I just do it privately as instructed by Jesus

Comment

I think Kid would be better served by a liberal church, such as the liberal Lutheran (ELCA) and Episcopalian Churches that can be found in the US. Or go to a non-denominational church.

Or, use the "Belief-O-Matic"
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Was unaware of the ancient opposition to contraception, thanks. I'll try to remember to inquire about them, though frankly I think the idea's silly and I've no interest in abandoning contraception--complex story why.

As for the rest, nuh-uh. Origen was a heretic, condemned. His opinion has little or nothing to do with that of the Orthodox Church. And I know we don't believe in the satisfaction doctrine. My priest's wife once told me about trying to discuss the idea with an Orthodox bishop. The bishop took like five minutes to understand she wasn't joking and that other Christians actually believe that. Then he was shocked.

Constantinople took over the reins when Rome left. Our POV is, you can have your seniority back just as soon as you dump the heresies and accept traditional limits on power. It's not seniority we object to, just the inflated power over other bishops.
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Latter-day Saints

QFT. Mormons are the only ones who go to heaven.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi View Post
            I also believe that the reason they are so fiercely persecuted by the secular world is because they have it right.
            Or maybe it's because they are more evil than Scientologists?

Kid, why not become a Scientologist - you get to ride with John Travolta in his big plane giving aid to Haiti!
            Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
              It's amazing to me how many people believe Christ died for something totally contrary to His own teachings.
              Can you give an example?
              I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
              - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun View Post
                Metropolitan Community Church - go, see, pray
                Will anyone follow me into the bathroom?

Comment

Originally posted by SlowwHand View Post
                  I'm a Methodist. I hope you give the denomination a try.
                  I went to a Methodist church on Sunday. I'm also studying Methodism and it's history.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post

Belief-O-Matic says I'm a Quaker. I tend to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                      What, WRT the satisfaction doctrine of the atonement? Aside from undermining the sovereignty of God by asserting that He "has" to do anything, to pay some sense of justice external to Himself (and the solution to this conundrum has nothing to do with justice, robbing the innocent, however willing, to pay the guilty), there's nothing in the teachings of Christ to back it up. The Prodigal Son wastes his father's inheritance, comes back; the father doesn't take away the other son's inheritance to make good on the debt. The steward is forgiven of a great debt (until he refuses to pay another's), and nobody else pays it. Forgiveness means, quite simply, FORGIVENESS. The debt is absolved, forgotten. God can do that because He's God. IIRC the Satisfaction doctrine was largely the invention of a fellow named Anselm of Canterbury sometime around the turn of the last millennium.
                      This stuff is still like a foreign language to me, but I was reading about John Wesley, and he said that the death of Christ was because of the renewal of creation and it has something to so with creation and the second coming of Jesus too.

Comment

Out of all the churches I've visited (not many, but some), I'd have to go with Sacre Coeur. Maybe I'd change my mind if I'd seen the Dome of the Rock or Angkor Watt, but so far this wins. In fact, it's probably better if you don't even go in, but just turn round and enjoy the view.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                          I think Kid would be better served by a liberal church, such as the liberal Lutheran (ELCA) and Episcopalian Churches that can be found in the US. Or go to a non-denominational church.

I was gonna suggest ELCA, but I was being really entertained by some of these.
                          "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                          'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

ELCA -- the Church for the lazy worshipper.

Still genuinely curious to know the story behind the religous conversion -- last I knew Kid was a Communist or a nihilist or something.
                            The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyMartini View Post
                              ELCA -- the Church for the lazy worshipper.

Still genuinely curious to know the story behind the religous conversion -- last I knew Kid was a Communist or a nihilist or something.
                              Jesus was lazy. He turned water into wine instead of putting effort into winemaking.
                              "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                              'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

I was raised ELCA -- all I really remember is hearing "Grace by faith alone" and thinking -- "really? that's it? easy".
                                The undeserving maintain power by promoting hysteria.

Comment

Working...
                                X