Obama's New Bank Regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama's New Bank Regulations

These proposed regulations sounded more forceful when they first leaked last night...

President Barack Obama proposed new limits on the size and activities of the nation's largest banks, pushing a more muscular approach toward regulation that yanked down bank stocks and raised the stakes in his campaign to show he's tough on Wall Street.

With former Federal Reserve Chairman Paul Volcker at his side, Mr. Obama said he wanted to toughen existing limits on the size of financial firms and force them to choose between the protection of the government's safety net and the often-lucrative business of trading for their own accounts or owning hedge funds or private-equity. Mr. Volcker has been an outspoken advocate of such rules; until recently Mr. Obama's top economic advisers, including Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and Lawrence Summers, were less than enthusiastic.

"Never again will the American taxpayer be held hostage by a bank that is too big to fail," Mr. Obama said Thursday, two days after voters crimped his ability to pursue his agenda by sending a Republican to the Senate to fill a vacancy created by the death of Edward M. Kennedy. The election deprived Democrats of the 60 votes often needed to get major measures through the Senate.

Administration officials said they weren't trying to resurrect the Depression-era law–known as Glass Steagall–that strictly divided commercial banks from the business of underwriting securities. Nor would their proposals force existing financial firms to downsize, officials said.

If accepted by Congress, the Obama proposals could force significant changes in how the nation's biggest banks do business.The specter of new profit-crimping regulation battered bank stocks Thursday, dragging down the Dow Jones Industrial Average by 213.27 points, or 2%, to 10,398.88. Some financial stocks sank by more than 5%, though they recovered slightly after Barney Frank, the Massachusetts Democrat who chairs the House Financial Services Committee, said the new rules would take effect over three to five years, not immediately. J.P. Morgan Chase & Co.'s stock was the hardest hit, sinking 6.6%.

I'm having a hard time discerning the point of these new regulations. While re-instituting Glass-Steagall would be of dubious worth, what's the point of half-assing it if you're going to force a separation between commercial and investment banking?

Even more puzzling is the attempt to limit bank size that won't "force existing financial firms to downsize". The financial industry is more centralized and dominated by large firms than ever in the wake of the financial crisis; how exactly are you going to solve the problem of having banks that are too big to fail if you don't force the downsizing of the huge banks that dominate Wall Street?

This reform effort seems more concerned with scoring political points while limiting the pain inflicted on influential Wall Street donors than in being a serious attempt to re-structure the financial system in a way that might prevent future crises.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Regarding your last paragraph... no duh. That's what all politicians do.
    "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
    "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

There's no way to prevent future crises. Might as well admit it now. Take the soaring economy with the recessions, it's how we roll.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

AFAIK, this is Volcker's baby.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Thanks for letting us know what was in the second paragraph of the linked excerpt.
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I think it goes to the last paragraph of the OP. Volcker is a believer in this stuff.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Volcker isn't President. The fact that he believes in this stuff doesn't explain why Obama suddenly decided to implement Volcker's preferred policies after a year of deferring to Summers and Geithner and doesn't explain why Volcker's policies aren't being implemented in a stronger fashion.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Senior administration officials I spoke to made it clear that this would not include market making activity, which the administration views as something you do for your clients. But while that may partially reassure banks, that seems to mean that market makers--i.e. Goldman Sachs--are very definitely included. That impression was reinforced by the way Indeed, if they pass this thing, they should probably call it the Hey Goldman Sachs! You're Not Going to Be So Profitable Any More Act of 2010.

The Atlantic covers news, politics, culture, technology, health, and more, through its articles, podcasts, videos, and flagship magazine.

Sorry, KH.
                KH FOR OWNER!
                ASHER FOR CEO!!
                GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                  This reform effort seems more concerned with scoring political points while limiting the pain inflicted on influential Wall Street donors than in being a serious attempt to re-structure the financial system in a way that might prevent future crises.
                  Yea, he's just trying to make it look like he's doing something. Typical politician.
                  I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                  - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

well it's hard to see how you could make a serious attempt to restructure the financial system after you've just applied a massive and expensive sticking plaster to the old, broken, system
                    "The Christian way has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found to be hard and left untried" - GK Chesterton.

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton

Comment

Bloomberg Hammers Obama, Congress Over Bank Plan

President Barack Obama's demand Thursday that Congress clamp down on the size of banks and their investments got major blowback from New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg, who said it could cause layoffs and hurt the city.

It's a clash between the president and the mayor. President Obama wants to whittle away at the size of the financial services industry.

"The American people will not be served by a financial system that comprises just a few massive firms," the president said.

But Mayor Bloomberg said the banks and Wall Street are part of the bedrock of the city's economy, and efforts to slash their business just means less tax revenue for the city, which brings up the dreaded "L" word.

"If that's the case then we'll have to lay off people because it will really hurt our industry," Bloomberg said.

The mayor was so upset about the move -- and a suggestion that Wall Street bonuses be put in escrow, which means the money wouldn't be spent here, wouldn't help the city economy -- he responded with a proposal of his own for members of Congress.

"Maybe we should hold back their salaries for a decade or so and see whether the laws they pass work out," Bloomberg said.

The mayor also demanded that the members of our congressional delegation go to the mat to protect the financial services industry, much like senators from Texas protect the oil industry.

KH FOR OWNER!
                      ASHER FOR CEO!!
                      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Geithner voiced concern on US bank limits-sources

President Barack Obama's newest Wall Street crackdown was met with hesitation from Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, who voiced concern that politics could sacrifice good economic policy, according to financial industry sources.

Geithner is concerned that the proposed limits on big banks' trading and size could impact U.S. firms' global competitiveness, the sources said, speaking anonymously because Geithner has not spoken publicly about his reservations.

He also has concerns that the limits do not necessarily get at the root of the problems and excesses that fueled the recent financial meltdown, the sources said.

A White House official said both Geithner and Lawrence Summers, the director of Obama's National Economic Council, worked closely with Paul Volcker, who heads a White House economic recovery board, in developing the proposals.

"The plan was submitted to the president with a unanimous recommendation from the economic team," the official said.

KH FOR OWNER!
                        ASHER FOR CEO!!
                        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Exactly, the financial industry should be left alone. What could possible go wrong?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

I think this is exactly right...

Nobody I've talked to on Wall Street seems to think the proposed reforms (although details remain vague) are anything more than PR, aimed in the wrong direction, don't do anything to make risk-taking more expensive, and are mere structural reforms that will be annoying to get around, but will be gotten around.

We'll see what comes out in the next few days. Maybe there's more to it than telling a bank you can't invest in PE funds. We can hope anyway.

But if the intent was to "go after the banks" and get the HuffPo crowd revved up, it seems to be working.

KH FOR OWNER!
                            ASHER FOR CEO!!
                            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I don’t even know why I took the time to write about this, because there’s zero chance the proposals Obama announced today will ever be law. This was a fairly transparent political stunt — the White House needed to do something to take the media’s focus off of health care 24/7, so they flew in Volcker and announced some proposals that sound good to the media. The two Senate staffers I talk to regularly both said their offices were basically ignoring Obama’s proposals, because even if the White House fights for them (which they won’t), Chris Dodd has no intention of inserting them into his committee’s bill.

KH FOR OWNER!
                              ASHER FOR CEO!!
                              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X