No announcement yet.

Wedding Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buy the beer by the keg and hire someone to tend the tap. Much cheaper than a real bartender as there will be no "bar". This means byo hard alcohol

Keep the reception indoors; butter cream is much cheaper than that cake warp stuff but is less heat tolerant. Also, don't go for the frosting flowers, use real flowers instead. Also, since you will not need a fancy cake, hire some one of craigslist to make it.

Check with local university stores. We had Fresno State "do" our flowers and it saved a ton.

Hire a good wedding planner or ask a very creative cousin to do it. Since our flowers were "cheap" and the cake was home made it took a special touch to combine the two into something great.

Fork out for an emcee/dj, it's worth it to avoid confussion and keep things smooooth.

You don't need a limo if the reception is at the hotel you will be staying at.

Buffet style can be much cheaper than being served.

Wedding dresses need only look expensive. Same for tuxedoes.
    Monkey!!!

Comment

cheap wedding advice

Don't get flowers
      Professional videographers are too expensive. Just use a friend with a camcorder
      Professional photographers are too expensive. Just use a friend with a digital camera.
      “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Vegas
        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Skip the wedding. Just buy a ladder and elope.
          Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
          I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Hold it on a Friday instead of the traditional Saturday.
            It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
            RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by -Jrabbit View Post
              I disagree with Elok on the drinks. He's right about the cost, but I consider alcohol a necessity.
              I agree. We spent around 3000 just on wholesale liquor. This was 20% of our total budget but it was completely worth it to see one of my aunts doing the limbo and trying to pick up guys half her age.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Agreed, no liquor weddings, don't seem to have a lot of those memorable moments.
                It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Weddings are pretty much the only occasions where I get drunk. Mostly because sparking a fat joint in front of extended family is frowned upon.
                  John Brown did nothing wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
                    it was completely worth it to see one of my aunts doing the limbo and trying to pick up guys half her age.
                    Haaa, same thing all over the world
                    Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                    Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                    Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

If your future Mother-in-law offers to pay for anything extra that she wants, don't trust her.
                      ...people like to cry a lot... - Pekka
                      ...we just argue without evidence, secure in our own superiority. - Snotty

Comment

Try not to be gay during the actual wedding.
                        "The French caused the war [Persian Gulf war, 1991]" - Ned
                        "you people who bash Bush have no appreciation for one of the great presidents in our history." - Ned
                        "I wish I had gay sex in the boy scouts" - Dissident

Comment

Originally posted by MRT144 View Post
                          But theres always an after-party.
                          **** the party. Get the paper and go on a honeymoon trip. All your relatives and friends can go find themselves another party.
                          Graffiti in a public toilet
                          Do not require skill or wit
                          Among the **** we all are poets
                          Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

1. Photography. It's fugging expensive. If you can get away with it, go bare bones on that (unless, of course, you really like pictures).

2. Keep the guest list down. Invite only people you really want there, if you can help it. You probably won't be able to do that and only that, but fight the good fight.

3. You can offer beer/wine but have hard drinks be available if the guests pay. Another option, IIRC, is that you can put a certain sum up for drinks and once it's been exhausted, people have to pay. Or you could make people pay for any drinks...

4. No need to go nuts on flowers.

5. Spend some time and effort hunting around for a reception hall. I think I checked out at least 5 before I found the one we used, and though it was the cheapest I'd considered it worked out great. In our case, starting at 1pm helped because they waived their usual 125 guest minimum (Saturday).

That's all I'm coming up with right now.

-Arrian
                            grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Caligastia View Post
                              If your future Mother-in-law offers to pay for anything extra that she wants, don't trust her.
                              Make her pay for everything, so that she gets whatever it is she wants. Although if it's Meatloaf for the first dance then you may need to think again....

Comment

We're looking at a reception hall (no church or anything) at 1500 for 11am-6pm on Saturday. It's an old ballroom near our house, really pretty and they do tango lessons and stuff there. That seems pretty reasonable and it's pretty inside.

Seattle, Swing, Salsa, Live bands, Swing dancing, Salsa dancing, Ballroom dancing, Tango dancing in Seattle, Gay Swing dancing in Seattle, Tango dancing, lindy hop, Reception Hall Rental, Ballroom Rental, swing dance lessons, Swing dancing, Swing
                                "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                                'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

Working...
                                X