MBA Tax Deduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MBA Tax Deduction

Japher, you might be able to deduct your 2009 MBA tuition at X! Nebraska, you might be able to deduct your 2009 tuition at Columbia! Pro se representation might be a hassle, though.

A Maryland nurse accomplished two rare feats in her battle with the Internal Revenue Service: She defended herself against the agency's lawyers and won, and she got a ruling that could help tens of thousands of students deduct the cost of an M.B.A. degree on their taxes.

The U.S. Tax Court handed Lori Singleton-Clarke her victory last month, saying the 47-year-old Bryantown, Md., woman had properly deducted nearly $15,000 in business school tuition. The Tax Court ruling should make it easier for many other professionals to deduct the expense of a Master in Business Administration degree.

Another demonstration of how our system of tax deductions is complex, arbitrary, and corrupt.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

MBAs should be charged a surtax for being a drain on society and, in general, douches.
    Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
    RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

MBAs should be charged a surtax for being a drain on society and, in general, douches.

QFT
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

There's a good case for the tax deductibility of professional degrees. Insofar as a degree is an investment in human capital, and the payoff is itself taxed as income, the current tax treatment distorts at the human/physical capital margin
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
          There's a good case for the tax deductibility of professional degrees. Insofar as a degree is an investment in human capital, and the payoff is itself taxed as income, the current tax treatment distorts at the human/physical capital margin
          Weird-- In Canada my tuition was always a tax deduction (in the early years my parents could take it)

We also had/have an additional deduction for students in the tax system-- I forget the details but it was so many dollars per month for every month studying. There was even a lesser amount for part-time students

I had never thought about it but would have assumed the US would be similar to encourage education
          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

I support this. MBA students should get something for their degrees.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
              Wouldn't wealth trasnfer to those getting professional degrees be better?

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                Wouldn't wealth trasnfer to those getting professional degrees be better?

JM
                No.
                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by DaShi View Post
                  I support this. MBA students should get something for their degrees.
                  Not deductible if degree was used to attain a job

Comment

If they did this for MBAs they might have to do it for regular college degrees since you could argue the same concept applies. Think of the revenue lost for the government if that passed.
                    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by rah View Post
                      If they did this for MBAs they might have to do it for regular college degrees since you could argue the same concept applies. Think of the revenue lost for the government if that passed.
                      Regular college degrees have a larger component of education as consumer good than professional degrees do.
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                      X