That serving of Ben & Jerry's has more calories then you think

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That serving of Ben & Jerry's has more calories then you think

It turns out food companies are in the habit of lying on their labels about colorie count, fat content, serving size, and just about everything else on the label. It seems no one is going to make them start telling the truth either at least not any time soon.

This Pint of Ben & Jerry's Is Four Servings? How do food companies determine "serving size"?
    By Christopher BeamPosted Friday, Jan. 8, 2010, at 6:57 PM ET

The food at many chain restaurants and supermarkets contains more calories than indicated on nutrition labels, according to a study published in this month's Journal of the American Dietetic Association. This discrepancy is due in part to the fact that actual portions are often bigger than the serving size indicated on the label—for example, a McDonald's employee might put more mayo on a burger than he's supposed to. How do food companies determine "serving size," anyway?

With old data. The Food and Drug Administration provides an exhaustively detailed set of guidelines to help manufacturers set portion size based on the amount the average person is likely to eat at once—or, in jargon, the "reference amount customarily consumed." The agency arrives at this figure—always expressed in grams—by factoring in survey data, recommendations from food and nutrition organizations, and customs in other countries. One reason official serving sizes seem so small is that the survey data comes largely from studies conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in the 1970s and '80s, when Americans consumed less food than they do now. In 2005, the FDA began the slow process of updating the rules to reflect how we eat now, but the agency is far from finished.

The simplest way to arrive at the correct serving size of a food is to convert the RACC from grams into a household measurement like teaspoons, tablespoons, or cups. A serving of sugar, for example, is the teaspoon equivalent of 4 grams. For slices of bread, cookies, and other foods that come in discrete units, the serving size is expressed as the number that comes closest to the recommended amount. Cookies, for example, have an RACC of 30 grams. If each cookie weighs 18 grams, the serving size would be two cookies, or 36 grams. (Companies aren't expected to change the size of their cookies to fit the RACC exactly.) If a product comes in a "single-serving container"—individually sold products that contain less than 200 percent of the RACC—companies can simply list a serving size as "1 container" or "1 package" or "1 can." Things get more complicated with food that requires adding water (like condensed milk) or food that gets mixed with other ingredients (like cake mix), since the label will often list both the nutrition facts "as packaged" and "as prepared." There are also rules for rounding (if a package contains between two and five servings, round to the nearest half serving, but if it contains more than five servings, round to the nearest serving) as well as rules for measuring different types of pasta, like macaroni versus lasagna. (See here for a good serving size FAQ.)

There's still room for fudging. For simplicity's sake, the FDA encourages manufacturers to label a container as a single-serving "if the entire contents of the package can reasonably be consumed at a single-eating occasion"—even if it's more than twice the RACC. For example, someone who buys a 20 oz. soda bottle is probably going to drink it all at once, even though the RACC is 8 fluid ounces. It's more important for the food label to reflect actual consumption habits, the thinking goes, than to adhere strictly to the technical guidelines. Nevertheless, manufacturers insist on labeling soda bottles "2.5 servings."

Food manufacturers undergo regular inspection by the FDA, which flags a product if its serving size is mislabeled. For example, the agency recently sent a warning letter to a manufacturer of pierogi for, among other violations, calling its serving size "5 blintzes" without defining blintz. Companies that don't comply with warning letters can be subject to fines, seizure of their product, or criminal prosecution.

Got a question about today's news? Ask the Explainer.
    The food at many chain restaurants and supermarkets contains more calories than indicated on nutrition labels, according to a study published in this...
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

It turns out that Oerdin is a blatant liar once again. Did you even READ the goddamn article?

Comment

With old data. The Food and Drug Administration provides an exhaustively detailed set of guidelines to help manufacturers set portion size based on the amount the average person is likely to eat at once—or, in jargon, the "reference amount customarily consumed." The agency arrives at this figure—always expressed in grams—by factoring in survey data, recommendations from food and nutrition organizations, and customs in other countries. One reason official serving sizes seem so small is that the survey data comes largely from studies conducted by the U.S. Department of Agriculture in the 1970s and '80s, when Americans consumed less food than they do now. In 2005, the FDA began the slow process of updating the rules to reflect how we eat now, but the agency is far from finished.

Or rather: Americans now are more fatasses and eat far larger portions than they did in the 70s.
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
      - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Anyone born from 1980 and after is "Generation Blimp".
        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I didn't read the Slate article about Ben & Jerry's, so forgive me.

Blaming food packaging for being a fat ass.

Next step is more "regulation" with taxpayer money to legislate good eating habits.

****ing absurd.

Slate is garbage btw.

Comment

Blame Oerdin.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

Huh, aren't calories and whatnots always indicated "per 100 grams" or some such?
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

I always multiply the number of serving by the calories per serving to get the total calories in the box. Then I figure my own serving from there.

Or, I just eat the box.
                No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

How many calories in the box?
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)
                  (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Mythbusters did an episode on that.
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Three thousand.
                      No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

That would keep me going for several days. Hmmm.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)
                        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                          How many calories in the box?
                          The fiber offsets some of the calories.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui View Post
                            Or rather: Americans now are more fatasses and eat far larger portions than they did in the 70s.
                            You forgot, "and can no longer do simple arithmetic/multiplication to determine their total caloric intake".

A little fudging in the "1 can/container" might be significant per package, but that's a tiny impact on the obesity problems we have today.
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Not when people suck down multiple packages. "That was good. I think I'll have 8 more."

Comment

Working...
                              X