Tradin' shares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tradin' shares

So I'm looking to make some mahoney and trade some shares in my spare time.

I'm a total novice, I've no idea where to begin. How do I go about setting about managing a portfolio? How do I manage it? Is there any software up for the task? (Mac + iPhone would be ideal).

Ta!
    "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
    "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Awhile I ago, I thought about creating a thread with similar questions - never done anything like shares/investments before, but I've been thinking about doing this.

Do you need a lot of money saved before you start? Could you invest with a modest amount to begin with, then add more later?
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Try Interactive Investor: http://www.iii.co.uk/sharedealing/?type=portfolio

They have something call 'Portfolio Builder' that is free till 30 June and only £1.50 per trade thereafter. A good way to start!

They also have the usual stuff if you then decide to go 'real time' in the future.
      Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

[QUOTE=MrFun;5733119]Awhile I ago, I thought about creating a thread with similar questions - never done anything like shares/investments before, but I've been thinking about doing this.

Do you need a lot of money saved before you start?
        No. There is probably a US equiv. of the link I've just posted.

Could you invest with a modest amount to begin with, then add more later?
        Yes, specifically if you start a monthly index tracker. Things will be different in the US, plus I have to head out right now anyway...
        Is it me, or is MOBIUS a horrible person?

Comment

I made $15k last year on FTSE shares. I consider it time to sell and profit take.
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

No need to rub it in, Dauphin.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
              I made $15k last year on FTSE shares. I consider it time to sell and profit take.
              US indexes are trading near historical price to trailing 10 year earnings currently. No reason to believe that they're overpriced, as far as I can see. What about the FTSE?
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Don't think it's overpriced, nor do I expect the FTSE to fall. I think that it's more likely to remain flat to modest growth.

I plan to remortgage, and paying off a chunk gives me a better interest rate - plus the equivalent expected return is as good as the FTSE.

Comment

Good decision from a personal finance point of view then.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

In the US mortgage interest is tax-deductible. If I ever have the urge to buy a house I'm mortgaging it as high as possible and taking an interest-only loan.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Britain used to have that. Caused a house price bubble then crash in the late 80s early 90s

Comment

Yeh, deductible interest on home mortgages is a very bad policy set up to benefit some entrenched interest groups.
                        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Originally posted by DanS View Post
                          Yeh, deductible interest on home mortgages is a very bad policy set up to benefit some entrenched interest groups.
                          Yes. Homeowners.
                          Stadtluft Macht Frei
                          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

If you have to do it, just make sure you aren't crippled by commissions. Last year I would much preferred to go High Yield CEFs and just let it sit instead of trying to grind out a little profit on more trades.
                            "I hope I get to punch you in the face one day" - MRT144, Imran Siddiqui
                            'I'm fairly certain that a ban on me punching you in the face is not a "right" worth respecting." - loinburger

Comment

It's a terrible idea to do stock trading if you're a Mr. Fun or a Whaleboy. If you're not going to pay very close attention to the market and the companies you're investing in, don't do it.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
                              X