Germanics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

france might be a holdout but the world speaks ENGLISH

good thing those commies in the usrr didnt force everyone to speak russian i guess they know the real international langauge now

Comment

france might be a holdout but the world speaks ENGLISH

good thing those commies in the usrr didnt force everyone to speak russian i guess they know the real international langauge now

Comment

Saying it twice doesn't make it less true, dude.

Comment

im trying to say it slower for those who dont understand english but everyone should because the us speaks it

Comment

Totally true.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitro View Post
              Yayayayayes. But. You see, this beautiful 8-bit revival map makes it seem as if Ireland's native language would be 100% English just like in, well, ****ing England.

While on the other hand Germanic languages are done for when you step into Alsace. Or well, parts of it and all of Lothring...I mean Lorraine. Or some parts of Switzerland just beyond total Germanness. And why is Finland semi-Germanic to start with?
              "Gaelic" usually refers to the Celtic language of Scotland. But that's a common mistake to make.

As for Ireland, only a tiny minority speaks Irish at home, the rest speak English. I dealt with Finland already. Don't know about Alsace-Lorraine.

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                "Gaelic" usually refers to the Celtic language of Scotland. But that's a common mistake to make.

As for Ireland, only a tiny minority speaks Irish at home, the rest speak English. I dealt with Finland already. Don't know about Alsace-Lorraine.
                O....kay.

Really, so how is the Celtic language of Ireland any more Germanic than the Gaelic language of Ireland?

Also, kinda again though I doubt you'll see it like that, how does their language makeup (schpeaking it at home et al) justify less of a difference than, say, the apparent three layers of Germany?

Comment

try and stop us french

Comment

Really, so how is the Celtic language of Ireland any more Germanic than the Gaelic language of Ireland?
                    Here's where you're confused. "Gaelic" refers to
                    1) The Celtic language of Scotland by itself.
                    2) A subbranch of the Celtic languages, namely Irish, Scottish (Gaelic) and Manx as a group. Neither of which are by the way Germanic.

Also, kinda again though I doubt you'll see it like that, how does their language makeup (schpeaking it at home et al) justify less of a difference than, say, the apparent three layers of Germany?
                    I'm not exactly sure what your asking.

English is a majority language in basically all parts of Ireland, therefore Ireland is colored on the map. The three layers of Germany represent a historical dialectal divide established already in the Middle Ages, i.e. Low German (e.g. Platt) in the north, Oberdeutsch in the south, and whatever the one in the middle is called.

Irish and Gaelic are not Germanic languages and are therefore not represented on the map, which is only a map of Germanic. This is fundamental to understanding the map.

Comment

germanic language is son of iran!
                      you know this. dont denial him.
                      numbers and math is irans making
                      they do good work turks and arab steal away them

Comment

Originally posted by Kitschum View Post
                        I'm not exactly sure what your asking.
                        Then I suggest you just read this thread again, sir.

Comment

Then I suggest you just read this thread again, sir.
                          Respectfully, I suggest it is you that read it again.

Comment

Originally posted by smelov pedastrie View Post
                            germanic language is son of iran!
                            you know this. dont denial him.
                            numbers and math is irans making
                            they do good work turks and arab steal away them

May I be the first to guess that you are a priest?
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)
                            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

A Zoroastrian priest? A magi?

Comment

Born Eastern Orthodox, but converted to Catholic would be a more refined guess.
                                (\__/)
                                (='.'=)
                                (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Working...
                                X