[serius] We are all doomed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [serius] We are all doomed

Is anyone else annoyed by the 2012 crap? Not the movie. I'm talking about the guys who believe that the world will end December 21st or whatever of 2012, I was just channel surfing and I see a "astrophysicist" explaining on CNN (God I hate that channel) that NO the world WILL NOT end in 2012 .

Why do people spread "the world will end in 2012" meme?

Seriously Y2K at least had some experts saying there might be a chance some bad things might happen if we don't prepare. The end of the millenium at least built up bull**** one could supposedly get from the holy book of the worlds largest religion.

And not just these dumb memes, but things like resurgence of occultism, mysticism, new age bull, homeopaty, greentards, bioenergetical healers and fake Jogi bears from India and dired up village spinsters supposedly communing with the faire world... I seem to encounter more and more of this madness when I'm not dealing with people with a background in hard sciences, math or compsci.

Is science literacy really this poor? Is critical thinking really becoming a rarer skill or are my personal experiences and impressions not representative?
    The world is getting ever more complex and while the mean global IQ may be rising due to the Flynn effect, many developed societies are already seeing stagnation of IQ scores or as in the case of Britain and Nordic countries drops in mean IQ's. If we combine this with the fact that people seem to be less well informed, or are at least more willing to flaunt their ignorance and that we must all pay at least lip service to the contrived notion that the village idiot's voice is as important as the voice of someone who can actually understand simple statistics (not to mention a voice of someone like Maxwell) is... what?

I just hope China will preserve civilization when this all comes crashing down.
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

I thought the movie was quite good.

It would be totally awesome if they made a sequel with those big arks
    cruising the seas and fighting it out...

Comment

Another example, posters on the internet are too easy to manipulate.

Off topic:The arks do seem nice looking. How on a scale of 10 how much would you give the movie?
      Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
      The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
      The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

I just found out that they're creating a sequel in the form of a TV series
        named 2013... should be interesting.

Movie is better than the average disaster movie, for example the Day After
        Tomorrow by the same director. Let's say 6 of 10. The acting is rather bad,
        but I'm a sucker for everything with big ships in it. There's also a huge Antonov
        in the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
          Is science literacy really this poor?
          Have you not been paying attention to all the "Intelligent Design" bozos?
          "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
          "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

AFAICT this has nothing to do with science literacy and everything to do with a very tenuous inference from the calendars of a stone-age people who believed the world would end if they didn't regularly thrust thorns into their penises. So yeah, it's just common retardation.
            1011 1100
            Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

we wont be doomed if we defeat barak "my muslim faith" obama in 2012

Comment

Is anyone else annoyed by the 2012 crap? Not the movie. I'm talking about the guys who believe that the world will end December 21st or whatever of 2012, I was just channel surfing and I see a "astrophysicist" explaining on CNN (God I hate that channel) that NO the world WILL NOT end in 2012 .

Why do people spread "the world will end in 2012" meme?

Seriously Y2K at least had some experts saying there might be a chance some bad things might happen if we don't prepare. The end of the millenium at least built up bull**** one could supposedly get from the holy book of the worlds largest religion.

And not just these dumb memes, but things like resurgence of occultism, mysticism, new age bull, homeopaty, greentards, bioenergetical healers and fake Jogi bears from India and dired up village spinsters supposedly communing with the faire world... I seem to encounter more and more of this madness when I'm not dealing with people with a background in hard sciences, math or compsci.

Is science literacy really this poor? Is critical thinking really becoming a rarer skill or are my personal experiences and impressions not representative?
                The world is getting ever more complex and while the mean global IQ may be rising due to the Flynn effect, many developed societies are already seeing stagnation of IQ scores or as in the case of Britain and Nordic countries drops in mean IQ's. If we combine this with the fact that people seem to be less well informed, or are at least more willing to flaunt their ignorance and that we must all pay at least lip service to the contrived notion that the village idiot's voice is as important as the voice of someone who can actually understand simple statistics (not to mention a voice of someone like Maxwell) is... what?

lol words
                Order of the Fly
                Those that cannot curse, cannot heal.

Comment

Since Hollywood has jumped on the 2012 BS bandwagon, I'm now totally unconcerned.

Comment

Originally posted by Elok View Post
                    AFAICT this has nothing to do with science literacy and everything to do with a very tenuous inference from the calendars of a stone-age people who believed the world would end if they didn't regularly thrust thorns into their penises. So yeah, it's just common retardation.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

And not just these dumb memes, but things like resurgence of occultism, mysticism, new age bull, homeopaty,

Not to mention these so-called "natural" "medicines" like St John's Wort and Arctic Root. I have encountered people who believe in that nonsense over "synthetic" drugs. ****ing Germans, I blame their nature worship cults for the propagation of these mass delusions.

Lol, let's cure the next flu pandemic with dried tiger penis and ground up rhinoceros horn.

Comment

Working...
                      X