Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Government Tries To Bankrupt Russians

Russia doubles price of vodka

MOSCOW–The Russian government has set a minimum price for vodka that more than doubles the cost of the cheapest vodka on the market in an effort to fight rampant alcoholism.

The measure also is aimed at reducing the extraordinary number of deaths caused by drinking in Russia.

The minimum price of 89 rubles ($3) for a half litre of vodka (17 ounces) went into effect Friday, the start of the 12-day New Year's and Orthodox Christmas holiday, when alcohol consumption is at its highest.

President Dmitry Medvedev has publicly decried Russia's drinking problem and its effect on the nation's well being.

A study published last year in The Lancet medical journal said drinking has caused more than half of deaths among Russians aged 15 to 54 since the 1991 Soviet collapse.
    Poor Serb.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

It won't bankrupt them, it will kill them off more efficiently because
    homebrew vodka is more dangerous

Comment

It's time for America to put a stop to this by forcing Russia to open its market to cheap American vodka. Vodka War!
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
        It won't bankrupt them, it will kill them off more efficiently because
        homebrew vodka is more dangerous
        All the blue-collar jobs will be taken by non-drinking Muslims who will then rebel against their Russian masters.
        Graffiti in a public toilet
        Do not require skill or wit
        Among the **** we all are poets
        Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
          It's time for America to put a stop to this by forcing Russia to open its market to cheap American vodka. Vodka War!
          Dude, did you read what they were increasing the minimum price to?

3$ per half-liter.

That's 4.50$ for a fifth.

The cheapest I ever see fifths of vodka for is ~8$
          12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
          Stadtluft Macht Frei
          Killing it is the new killing it
          Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Russians get, what, 25 cents an hour? Point being, it's all relative.
            Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
            "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
            He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Why set a fixed price when they could just tax the **** out of it?
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's essentially what they've done, Oerdin.
                Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.

Comment

No it is not. They've set a minimum price and price fixing is retarded.
                  Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                    Why set a fixed price when they could just tax the **** out of it?
                    God damnit, what the hell?

It's not a fixed price, it's a MINIMUM price. There are already sin taxes everywhere, but to more than double the minimum price of Vodka using a percentage-tax would be insane. The problem isn't the people drinking $300 bottles of Vodka, it's the people buying half-litre bottles for $1.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

A smarter move would be to apply a per-unit excise tax on the alcohol.
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Poor troll.

I don't drink vodka at all, moron.

Comment

All vodka prices aren't the same here. Yes, there's a likely minimum price here, too, for rot gut crap. I imagine it's the same in Russia.
                          Do you think Patron tequila is the same price as a low quality? Dang, Oerdin. Think. nm.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb View Post
                            Poor troll.

I don't drink vodka at all, moron.
                            You don't drink Vodka...you speak English...you play American games.

You are no patriot.

Comment

But he is hypersensitive. He's got that Russianness going for him.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X