Today, I am an Indian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post

Why is it okay for machines to displace low-income workers in favour of high-income workers, but not okay for immigrants to displace high-income workers in favour of low-income workers?
    What I previously commented.

I have no idea what you're talking about, you twit.
    Very well I'll try to rephrase. People want as little competition as possible. They don't want people to immigrate who can compete with them directly, they are obviously less likely to support policies that allow this.

By opposing mass immigration from the Middle East in Europe or Mexico in North America all one does is signal he is poor enough to care.

Some people don't like to feel better that someone just because they are rich (isn't as fashionable as it used to be) so they feel better because they aren't limited bigots who fear brown maids, factory workers or street sweepers (I mean they take the jobs no one wants!).
    Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
    The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
    The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Are you ****ing retarded? We're discussing the immigration of skilled workers.

If you want to discuss the immigration of unskilled workers, then pick another thread. I will say that in the context of the US empirical studies show no negative effects of the immigration of unskilled workers on the wages of low-income natives, despite the theoretical possibility that such an effect exists. The hypothesis to explain this is that despite some superficial similarities, unskilled native workers and unskilled, mainly Spanish-speaking immigrants are not good substitutes for each other. In fact, the strongest effect new immigrants have is on the wages of slightly older immigrants. Immigrants are good substitutes for other immigrants.
      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
      Stadtluft Macht Frei
      Killing it is the new killing it
      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Are you ****ing retarded? We're discussing the immigration of skilled workers.
        I was just commenting the psych behind your quote.

Another example: High income workers can feel superior to low income workers when low income workers are against the use of machinery and they feel happy they are so enlightened that they don't stand in the way of progress. But if say expert systems came anywhere close to possibly replacing many or even some doctors (an example of a highly skilled segment of the workforce), you can be sure many doctors would fight bitterly against the tech.

If you want to discuss the immigration of unskilled...
        Not in itself.

I will say that in the context of the US empirical studies show no negative effects of the immigration of unskilled workers on the wages of low-income natives, despite the theoretical possibility that such an effect exists. The hypothesis to explain this is that despite some superficial similarities, unskilled native workers and unskilled, mainly Spanish-speaking immigrants are not good substitutes for each other. In fact, the strongest effect new immigrants have is on the wages of slightly older immigrants. Immigrants are good substitutes for other immigrants.
        Yes but what I'm saying is that people rally behind "They took our jobs!" whenever they feel threatened and feel smug when other people do this thinking themselves above it.

PS Those sound like intriguing studies, do you happen to have any links? Any studies for slower growing economies?
        Modern man calls walking more quickly in the same direction down the same road “change.”
        The world, in the last three hundred years, has not changed except in that sense.
        The simple suggestion of a true change scandalizes and terrifies modern man. -Nicolás Gómez Dávila

Comment

Are you ****ing retarded?
          Did you really have to ask him that?

Comment

No, you aren't. Could you please pay attention? I asked why it's okay for MACHINES to displace POOR PEOPLE but not HIGH SKILLED IMMIGRANTS to displace RICH PEOPLE.

You then responded with something about how the RICH look down on the POOR as xenophobes when the POOR complain about UNSKILLED IMMIGRANTS

Complete thoughts before you post them.
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
              Did you really have to ask him that?
              Asking a ****** if he is a ****** is a rhetorical question many people enjoy asking.

Comment

No, you aren't. Could you please pay attention? I asked why it's okay for MACHINES to displace POOR PEOPLE but not HIGH SKILLED IMMIGRANTS to displace RICH PEOPLE.

You then responded with something about how the RICH look down on the POOR as xenophobes when the POOR complain about UNSKILLED IMMIGRANTS

Complete thoughts before you post them.
                Sigh.

Read the post you are quoting, in it I spell out how the two situations are analogous and what I was getting at, to summarize:

-In the previous post I talk about how RICH PEOPLE feel like GOOD because they aren't dirty LUDDITE like those pesky POOR PEOPLE but justify the exact same behaviour when it is in their perceived interest.
                -In the first post I talked about how RICH PEOPLE feel like GOOD because they aren't dirty RACISTS like those pesky POOR PEOPLE but justify the exact same behaviour when it is in their perceived interest.

What RICH PEOPLE like, is almost by definition what society considers to be "ok" as you put it in the post I first quoted.

I mentioned signalling status in the first post for a reason.

Comment

Yes but what I'm saying is that people rally behind "They took our joooobs!" whenever they feel threatened and feel smug when other people do this thinking themselves above it.

That's not what you said originally.

All you said was that the rich view the poor as xenophobes for opposing the immigration of unskilled workers. You didn't complete the argument to conclude that the rich oppose immigration that competes with them, and are thus simply hypocrites.

As far as linking to the studies, use ****ing Google. Get some initiative. You need to learn how to research independently.
                  Stadtluft Macht Frei
                  Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

And I did read the post, you ****wit.

The astounding thing is that you appear not to have read your own post.
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by Heraclitus View Post
                      PS Those sound like intriguing studies, do you happen to have any links? Any studies for slower growing economies?
                      Simple logic mandates that immigration has an effect on wages of
                      the native work force. You might want to check out George
                      Borjas' blog. He's a labor economist specializing in immigration.

Comment

Nice guys that ALREADY MAKE FAR MORE THAN THE AVERAGE PERSON

Why is it okay for machines to displace low-income workers in favour of high-income workers, but not okay for immigrants to displace high-income workers in favour of low-income workers?

Because high income workers signal they are good and fashionable people by calling poor workers who dislike illegal immigration xenophobes and racists.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE.
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Nice guys that ALREADY MAKE FAR MORE THAN THE AVERAGE PERSON

Because high income workers signal they are good and fashionable people by calling poor workers who dislike illegal immigration xenophobes and racists.

THIS MAKES NO SENSE.
                          RICH people SIGNAL they are HIGH status to other RICH and wannabe rich people by calling workers who dislike illegal immigration xenophobes and racists thus showing they aren't POOR people.

RICH people SIGNAL they are HIGH status to other RICH and wannabe rich people by calling workers who dislike "unreliable", "newfangled" tech Luddites thus showing they aren't POOR people.

Isn't this the exact same principle?

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                            Simple logic mandates that immigration has an effect on wages of
                            the native work force. You might want to check out George
                            Borjas' blog. He's a labor economist specializing in immigration.
                            No, it doesn't. If the immigrant workers are poor substitutes for the native workers and are instead complements then their immigration can increase the real wages of everybody in the receiving country. This is an empirical question, not a theoretical one.
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

It's too early in the year for my head to explode.
                              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                              Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

RICH people SIGNAL they are HIGH status to other RICH and wannabe rich people by calling workers who dislike illegal immigration xenophobes and racists thus showing they aren't POOR people.

RICH people SIGNAL they are HIGH status to other RICH and wannabe rich people by calling workers who dislike "unreliable", "newfangled" tech Luddites thus showing they aren't POOR people.

WHAT DOES THIS HAVE TO DO WITH MACHINERY DISPLACING POOR WORKERS AND HIGH-SKILLED IMMIGRANTS DISPLACING RICH PEOPLE, YOU ****ING MENTAL MIDGET?
                                Stadtluft Macht Frei
                                Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Working...
                                X