Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The greatest Russian movie isn't even Russian.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The greatest Russian movie isn't even Russian.

Tonight I rewatched one of my favorite movies of all time, Doctor Zhivago. For those of you who do not know it is a story of late Tsarist Russia, WW1, and the Russian Revolution along with its after math. It's one of the last truly epic films made by Metro Goldwyn Mayer and, at the time, no Russian director would make the film so the Russian author had to seek the help of an American film company. In the tradition of great Russian novelists such as Leo Tolstoy the book/film does not take sides but instead tells the story of life in all of its gritty and, yes, sometimes gory details. This is no doubt why Soviet authorities refused to make the movie. It was indeed critical of revolutionary forces when their actions warranted disapproval just as the author was with Tsarist or German forces or even of the selfish actions of the rich in Tsarist Russia.

If you haven't seen this movie before or even if you haven't seen it in a while, it was released in 1962, then I highly recommend taking the time to view it as it is a true classic. One day such a film may even be allowed to be made in Russia.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

It's interesting that they had an Egyptian Arab play the part of a Russian doctor and poet.

Comment

I bet even Che would like the pro-communist parts even if he dislikes the parts critical of the communists. Sir Alexis Guinness played his role masterfully.

Comment

Hey Oerdin. Failing to clarify the alleged 'modern EU viewpoint' in the other thread, I see you're going for Russian baiting instead? Serb still around these days?

Comment

[His half brother speaking of his funeral]I was astonished by the extent of his reputation as his works were banned by the party at the time. He was disapproved of by the party but if people love poetry then they love poets and no one loves poetry like a Russian.
            The remarks about the Soviet labor camps and the killing of the innocents was no doubt what pissed off the communist party.

Originally posted by Monk View Post
            Hey Oerdin. Failing to clarify the alleged 'modern EU viewpoint' in the other thread, I see you're going for Russian baiting instead? Serb still around these days?
            You should watch "The World at War" by Thames Entertainment published in 1972 as it contains accounts of people saying the conflict from 1914-1945 was a European civil war with a long armistice which outsiders won (namely the US and the USSR).

Comment

"Lara's Theme". My mother loved the movie and the song from it.
              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

From what I've seen of Soviet film (postwar), which admittedly isn't a lot, it is pretty high quality and only occasionally do you see blatant propaganda take over. The political influence is more evident in what isn't being shown. While American movies can be no less propagandistic there's usually a counterexample you can point to that pulls the other way. I only watched Dr Zhivago once years ago on a classic movie channel, and I don't remember what angle it had if any.

And while I don't know about greatest per say some of the most amazing things the Soviet Motherland's cultural department gave us are anti-capitalist cartoons like this one:

part 2:

Only wish that they were available in better quality.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                  Tonight I rewatched one of my favorite movies of all time, Doctor Zhivago. For those of you who do not know it is a story of late Tsarist Russia, WW1, and the Russian Revolution along with its after math. It's one of the last truly epic films made by Metro Goldwyn Mayer and, at the time, no Russian director would make the film so the Russian author had to seek the help of an American film company. In the tradition of great Russian novelists such as Leo Tolstoy the book/film does not take sides but instead tells the story of life in all of its gritty and, yes, sometimes gory details. This is no doubt why Soviet authorities refused to make the movie. It was indeed critical of revolutionary forces when their actions warranted disapproval just as the author was with Tsarist or German forces or even of the selfish actions of the rich in Tsarist Russia.

If you haven't seen this movie before or even if you haven't seen it in a while, it was released in 1962, then I highly recommend taking the time to view it as it is a true classic. One day such a film may even be allowed to be made in Russia.
                  :cough: Have you ever read or watched Quiet Flows the Don? Not the 2006 miniseries, the lauded 1958 movie. In the tradition of great Russian novelists such as Leo Tolstoy the book/film does not take sides but instead tells the story of life in all of its gritty and, yes, sometimes gory details. It was indeed critical of revolutionary forces when their actions warranted disapproval just as the author was with the Whites or the Interventonists or even of the selfish actions of the rich in Tsarist Russia.

So I guess, one day such a film was allowed to be made in Russia.
                  Graffiti in a public toilet
                  Do not require skill or wit
                  Among the **** we all are poets
                  Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

Not to mention the author got a Nobel prize for the book, as well as Stalin's prize (no, smartasses, that means a ****load of money).

Oerdin you are pathetic. The last Doctor Zhivago movie made in Russia in 2005.
                    Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.
                    Last edited by Serb; January 14, 2010, 04:22.

Comment

I remember my parents taking us to see this in the theater when it was first released. I guess it made quite an impact on me since I took a slew of Russian History classes at College.

But I always thought Battleship Potemkin was considered the Greatest Russian Movie.
                      It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
                      RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by Serb View Post
                        Not to mention the author got a Nobel prize for the book, as well as Stalin's prize (no, smartasses, that means a ****load of money).

Oerdin you are pathetic. The last Doctor Zhivago movie made in Russia in 2005.
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGGSzfTezw0
                        No one cares about the Russian version which got virtually zero play outside of Russia. The definitive version is the epic done in the 1960's which posted huge sales and which is widely regarded as a true classic.

Comment

Originally posted by onodera View Post
                          :cough: Have you ever read or watched Quiet Flows the Don? Not the 2006 miniseries, the lauded 1958 movie.
                          I've never heard of that one. Is there a place I can get an English language version or at least one with subtitles?

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin View Post
                            I've never heard of that one. Is there a place I can get an English language version or at least one with subtitles?
                            Let's see...
                            Amazon.com: Quiet Flows the Don : Pyotr Glebov, Elina Bystritskaya, Zinaida Kiriyenko, Daniil Ilchenko, A. Filippova, Nikolai Smirnov, Lyudmila Khityayeva, Natalya Arkhangelskaya, Aleksandr Blagovestov, Igor Dmitriyev, Aleksandr Shatov, Boris Novikov, Sergei Gerasimov, Mikhail Sholokhov, Sergei Gerasimov: Movies & TV

There's another place, but it's probably against the rules to mention it here, and there are no subtitles included with the movie.
                            Graffiti in a public toilet
                            Do not require skill or wit
                            Among the **** we all are poets
                            Among the poets we are ****.

Comment

List of Russian movies that I've seen that are better than Dr. Zhivago:

Battleship Potemkin
                              By the Law
                              Andrei Rublev
                              Shadows of Our Forgotten Ancestors (ok it's set in the Ukraine but close enough)
                              The End of St. Petersburg
                              Strike
                              Mirror
                              Ivan's Childhood
                              The Man With A Movie Camera
                              War and Peace
                              The Extraordinary Adventures of Mr. West in the Land of the Bolsheviks
                              The Red and the White
                              Earth
                              The Red Tent
                              Soy Cuba
                              The Cranes Are Flying

heck, there are even better movies set in Russia that aren't Russian made. Love and Death being a good example.
                              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                              Drake Tungsten
                              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                              Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                              X