How Big Should A Bureaucracy Be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Big Should A Bureaucracy Be?

We have the presidential elections today and while I was comparing candidates
    I noticed that literally all of them were promising to push for a smaller bureaucracy.

Now, how do we know that B is too large? I mean, it's common knowledge that
    it is, but is there any way to objectively measure that? Are there any international
    comparisons of sizes of B? Is there an ideal number of B per capita, or at least
    a commonly accepted number, or something?

Obviously, if we have a government, we need bureaucracy, but how big is too big
    and how small is too small?

P.S.
    Do registrations at WePlayCiv work? I attempted to create a nickname there
    yesterday but still haven't gotten the registration confirmation email.

You can't really define too big or too little unless it is.

P.S. I would assume so, since I am.
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
    "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
    He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

We need civil servants but we can do without the bureaucrats
      "post reported"Winston, on the barricades for freedom of speech
      "I don't like laws all over the world. Doesn't mean I am going to do anything but post about it."Jon Miller

Comment

it is the nature of government to grow and liberty give way

or something like that from Thomas Jefferson

he's right, people in government want power and to get their family/friends jobs
        I imagine there's plenty of redundancy, even moreso than the private sector. I hate to say it but the problem with our system is campaign financing, its little more than legalized bribery.

Comment

9/11 could not have occurred in a Libertarian society. As soon as the Muslim hijackers began brandishing their box-cutters they would have been cut down in a hail of bullets from every gun-toting God-fearing Christian on the airplane, assuming the hijackers were not shot before even going through the security checkpoint.
          RoboCon v2.1.1

Comment

Amazing thread! Finally someone who can spell bureaucracy
            Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Exactly as I thought! Everybody is against it, yet nobody knows what the
              right number should be.

Comment

Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
                  Exactly as I thought! Everybody is against it, yet nobody knows what the
                  right number should be.

The solution is simple: Start hanging bureaucrats. Keep doing it until the government's efficiency starts to drop. Then hire 1 more.
                  Libraries are state sanctioned, so they're technically engaged in privateering. - Felch
                  I thought we're trying to have a serious discussion? It says serious in the thread title!- Al. B. Sure

Comment

Bureaucracy should meet the needs of bureaucracy. Or how was it.
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                    X