Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many colds will I get this winter (HAR HAR HAR IT'S NOT WINTER YET)?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I doubt CG even wins that one. They're both pretty bad.

Sheeeeeeeeesh
    It's almost as if all his overconfident, absolutist assertions were spoonfed to him by a trusted website or subreddit. Sheeple
    RIP Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Originally posted by KrazyHorse View Post
      Especially not now. It had been ~3 years since I had any illness before this season.

Plus I'm fat and weak. I haven't been the the gym in 3+ months. Didn't gain any weight, but I dropped about 5 lbs of muscle and replaced it with 5 lbs of fat.

**** ****ing physics.
      In my 4 months of no gym (and heavier drinking) while I tried to have everything finished I got much much weaker. I even had a hard time jogging 5km when I first got here.

And I think my bench is 27 kg dumbbels instead of 70 lb ones. I had gotten fatter in the spring though when I ate a ton.

85 kg is how much I weigh right now. Last year at this time it was 75 kg.

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I'm a bit under 75kg.
        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
        Stadtluft Macht Frei
        Killing it is the new killing it
        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Originally posted by VJ View Post
          It's controversial whether vitamin C is directly useful in combating common cold, but it's cheap and you can't OD (unused vitamin C goes away with urine) on it so there's no reason NOT to take additional doses in form of pills, the worst case scenario is that you're wasting a very small amount of your money.

Looks like KH doesn't have a top-notch immunity system. It's getting better all the time with these common colds (well, unless he has AIDS).
          It's only controversial in a couple of areas. For most people it's pointless taking regular doses of vitamin c supplements to prevent colds. If you get sick it's possible a massive dose (8g or so) at the first onset of symptoms might help.

In addition vitamin c supplementation might not be completely harmless. eg.

Vitamin C supplementation was associated with a moderate increase in the risk of preterm birth, although further research is required. Vitamin C supplementation may help to prevent women developing pre-eclampsia during their pregnancy, although more research is needed.

Generally better off just spending your money on fruit and veg, eating better, sleeping better, drinking less.
          Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
          Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
          We've got both kinds

Comment

Originally posted by MikeH View Post
            Generally better off just spending your money on fruit and veg, eating better, sleeping better, drinking less.
            What are you, a ****ing communist?

12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
            Stadtluft Macht Frei
            Killing it is the new killing it
            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

I have a friend whose doctor thinks the kidney stone he got was due to too much vitamin c. He tried to stay away from it, which I didn't think was reasonable.

JM
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN
              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

also, don't eat aspartame, i read a newspaper article that you'll get cancer

"I read a news article and some studies that this vitamin C ain't so good for ya after all, so don't eat vitamin C, you're better off eating lots of fruits and veggies"

You have no idea why this is so funny, do you MikeH?

Comment

Also KH, if you're serious about getting back to exercise, buy some free weights for your home and set aside half an hour a day for working out + shower (15 and 15 mins). No way half an hour is too much free time per day. It's better to do short and light exercises all the time than have a complete break from muscle exercise.

Comment

By way of a summary then, regularly taking 1-2g vitamin C probably shortens the time a normal adult is sick of a cold by less than 10%, but they will get sick just the same. As to mega doses (4-8g) on the onset of symptoms the evidence is not conclusive.

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
                    I have a friend whose doctor thinks the kidney stone he got was due to too much vitamin c. He tried to stay away from it, which I didn't think was reasonable.
                    Me neither if you mean giving up fruit and vegetables. Curiously, vitamin C may protect against gallstones so I suppose it may be a heads I win tails you lose situation in the end for him. Of course this is a German study and thus suspect because of their general tendency to hocus pocus.

Comment

Working...
                    X