No announcement yet.

Australia: Nanny State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MLB has gotten up to 105 as well. And allowed? Not necessarily, but it happens.
    Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
      http://www.canada.com/technology/Aus...998/story.html

What a ****ty little country. Banning video games, now censoring the internet.

What the **** is wrong with Australians?
      In short, this censorship shenanigan is actively supported by very few people but most people don't care enough about it out of ignorance.

The longer explanation is that the ALP (centre left) tried to attract the vote of some Christian religious sector or another away from the Liberals (centre right). This is a bit bizarre, as the religious sector in Australia isn't really united, numerous, and likely to care about this issue. No one supports this censorship other than the nutty religious right Family First party, whose political importance is a result of a voting preference deal (see: preferential voting system in wikipedia). I very much doubt that ALP members think it's good policy, but most likely no one apart from geeks have paid enough to attention to this to care about it and see that this policy won't do any good in preventing criminal activity on the internet. All it will do is slow it down. Everyone else will start to care once the internet slows down and pedophiles will be caught who sidestepped the censorship. I'm surprised business groups aren't all in a tizzy about this issue.
      As for video games, it's a historical relic of the time when games were though to be primarily directed towards kids. Again, Christian right is in a tizzy about R rated video games and no one else in politics cares enough to put the issue on the agenda. Gamer geeks are not exactly a united group that intends to switch votes on the matter. Particularly when they can order any R-rated and up game they like from Amazon anyway.
      Last edited by Zevico; December 15, 2009, 21:28.
      "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

Oh, and the censorship won't do anything, apparently, other than slow the internet down. Yay.
        "You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."--General Sir Charles James Napier

Comment

That's it, I'm moving. Where's Asher hide out these days?
          Last edited by Dale; December 15, 2009, 22:38.

Comment

Check Manila's red-light district.
            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
            Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Working...
            X