Engine Rebuilding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine Rebuilding

Is it a good idea? If properly rebuilt is it 90% as good as new? 70%?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

new pistons, rings, valve/cam job, regrind everything, seals, plugs etc? I'd think "proper" would be over 90%. Leaving the crank assembly alone assuming the bearing surfaces are nice and green tinted with relatively low miles is still well over 70%.

How much they asking or are you considering this yourself

what kind of motor? I'd research that for design flaws unless you have no other choice wrt the engine yer rebuilding

Comment

It's for a Mitsubishi 3.0L in a 94 Dodge Caravan.

I've seen prices for rebuilt engines for $1000 (seems like a small guy; sounds dodgy). It is not common around here, so it is more expensive I think. Found a rebuilder today who estimated ~$4700 with all new belts, plugs, pumps, etc.
      (\__/)
      (='.'=)
      (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Caravan?

Comment

A '94 Dodge Caravan?

Just buy another used van for cheap...
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
            Caravan?

It's a big hit with the MILFs. Don't knock it til you try it.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)

Comment

[Note to self] Looking for MILFS, get Dodge caravan.

You're well ahead of me here man. D'oh.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher View Post
                A '94 Dodge Caravan?

Just buy another used van for cheap...

1. These aren't cheap, even used.
                2. My experience with them is they are very reliable.
                3. I don't like throwing things away.

I'm thinking that if a rebuilt runs well for 100-200K+ it would be a good investment.

Also
                4. It's a working vehicle. Image is not a primary concern.
                Last edited by notyoueither; December 14, 2009, 22:55.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york View Post
                  [Note to self] Looking for MILFS, get Dodge caravan.

You're well ahead of me here man. D'oh.

It gets better when you are older than they are.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

whats wrong with it? Just miles and gulping oil? How many miles?

anyway, I can ask my buddy - he has a garage and he's more in tune with going rates these days, my knuckle busting days are past me now But his estimate will be lower for sure, he'd probably charge 200-300 to install a rebuild and I suspect a '94 Caravan aint too time consuming.
                    Last edited by Berzerker; December 14, 2009, 22:48.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither View Post
                      It gets better when you are older than they are.
                      Ain' dat da trute! Sometimes I wish I was as young as they are, but then I realise I'd enjoy it less. Talking cars of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker View Post
                        whats wrong with it? Just miles and gulping oil? How many miles?

anyway, I can ask my buddy - he has a garage and he's more in tune with going rates these days, my knuckle busting days are past me now But his estimate will be lower for sure, he'd probably charge 200-300 to install a rebuild and I suspect a '94 Caravan aint too time consuming.
                        Knock inside. Not good milage, but doesn't burn oil. Thermostat is going or gone. Belts need done...

I went for an oil change and was given an estimate for over $900 worth of work. Ignoring the knock.

I told them to nevermind.

I am taking it to someone else for an inspection/opinion, but I was thinking that since it is on the way to 250K I might check into getting it rebuilt.

I don't think it was well looked after before I began driving it, and I am not very good for maintenance either.
                        (\__/)
                        (='.'=)

Comment

Thanks for looking into it.

I have a feeling he will have a strong opinion on the $4700 estimate. This doesn't seem to be a common thing around here, but much more common in many parts of the US.
                          (\__/)
                          (='.'=)

Comment

yeah, thats a bunch of miles and a knocking sound is likely sloppiness in the crank/piston assembly at this point. I was just in there today and my buddy was starting a diesel rebuild - the owner used starting fluid and punched a hole in a piston ouch. I'd probably go with the $1000 rebuild and pay someone 250-300 or whatever to transfer the peripherals and install it. Yeah, he'd probably gag at 4700 but if that includes "everything" installed and out the door with a year guarantee many people would go for it just to avoid the potential troubles with partial rebuilds. Vans are worth a little extra to keep going

Comment

I'd have to vote for exploring alternatives to rebuilding the van.
                              Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                              "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                              He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

Working...
                              X