• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was thirty years ago today ...

... Joe Strummer told the band to play.

Comment

Recorded in Highbury N5 as well. :cloud9:

Comment

Despite the stupid name (), it remains one of the century's finest albums.

Comment

Meh. The Ramones had already peaked and started to become uncool in America by the time this came out. Too little, too late...
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

The Ramones are the Ramones. If they came too quickly that was hardly the fault of The Clash.

Comment

Too quickly? The Ramones had been around for five years by the time London Calling came out. They had already created punk and moved on by the time their British followers finally got around to making good albums.
              KH FOR OWNER!
              ASHER FOR CEO!!
              GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Oh, I'm not disputing the importance and influence of The Ramones, just the durability of their work as an end-product. It's a bit like Newcomen / Watt vs Trevithick / Stephenson.

I'd still happily jump around to "Suzy Is a Headbanger" on a night out, were I to be anywhere where they played it, but I wouldn't sit and listen to it at home. Well, actually, I might - but not as much as other stuff from around the same time. It's a bit like The Damned's first album (released the same year as Ramones)- useful in development terms but not as good as the slightly later stuff.

Comment

Plus whilst The Ramones were influential they did basically just write the same song 500 times.
                  Jon Miller: MikeH speaks the truth
                  Jon Miller: MikeH is a shockingly revolting dolt and a masturbatory urine-reeking sideshow freak whose word is as valuable as an aging cow paddy.
                  We've got both kinds

Comment

In their defense, The Ramones' lack of stylistic breadth did prevent them from ever releasing an album as ****ty as Sandinista!.
                    KH FOR OWNER!
                    ASHER FOR CEO!!
                    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Credit Iggy & the Stooges for creating punk.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

The Ramones hardly created Punk. The New York Dolls.
                        Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the moments that take your breath away.
                        "Hating America is something best left to Mobius. He is an expert Yank hater.
                        He also hates Texans and Australians, he does diversify." ~ Braindead

Comment

I was fortunate enough to see the NY Dolls live -- very out of control show, both the band and the audience. I also have shrink-wrapped copies of both their albums. So clearly I thought of them as important at the time.

The Dolls were glam-trash and very calculated (at least David Johansen was). They were different, they were something, but they were not the first true punk band. I tend to agree with the Iggy/Stooges assertion.
                          Apolyton's Grim Reaper 2008, 2010 & 2011
                          RIP lest we forget... SG (2) and LaFayette -- Civ2 Succession Games Brothers-in-Arms

Comment

Great ****ing album.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten View Post
                              In their defense, The Ramones' lack of stylistic breadth did prevent them from ever releasing an album as ****ty as Sandinista!.
                              The best thing that was said at the time about Sandanista was that, selling at the same for a triple album as for a single album, it was 'value for money'.

They shouldn't have bothered with the the triple, but there were probably just enough decent tracks out of the 36 to pick 12 that were ok.

Comment

Working...
                              X