Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USA Lost 40 Million People in 20 Years (1990-2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Lost 40 Million People in 20 Years (1990-2010)

Actually, the USA did not lose so many people. The thread title is to give you
    a feel for the scale of this loss. It actually happened in Bulgaria in the same
    period. In 20 years population declined from ~9 million to ~7.5 million, a drop
    of ~16%. It's the same as if the USA lost ~40 million in the same period.

(Image source: http://globaleconomydoesmatter.blogs...-bulgaria.html)

Some interesting things to note about this:

1. There were no wars, disease or natural disasters in Bulgaria. It just... happened.
    2. The country is functioning normally
    3. Standard of living is increasing (not just GDP/capita, but also GDP)
    4. There is no need for large scale immigration
    5. The country has been running a fiscal surplus prior to the crisis

What communism does to a country, eh? The pattern of population decrease is
    observable elsewhere in the former communist states of Eastern Europe. An interesting
    comparison is with Croatia. We had a bloody war in the 1990's, as a result many died
    and many more fled or were displaced. With all that, our population decreased only 7% or
    so. Why?

Our form of communism was much milder.

Do you have any age related demographic problems?

JM
    Jon Miller-
    I AM.CANADIAN
    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Well if you're anything like the rest of Western Europe then people just aren't having kids. My own country's population is increasing as a result of immigration more than anything else. Hey, perhaps all those Bulgarians are just in London
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller View Post
        Do you have any age related demographic problems?

JM
        We have 1.1 million pensioners and 1.4 million workers. You think you have
        it bad in the US?

Originally posted by Provost Harrison View Post
        My own country's population is increasing as a result of immigration more than anything else. Hey, perhaps all those Bulgarians are just in London
        Possible. Bulgarian language is a slavic one similar to Polish (a bit "harder" with
        more "ratatata" sounds). Some of the "Polish invaders" are probably Bulgarian.

Comment

Have you checked behind the couch or under the cushions? It's the first place I check when I lose things.
          "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
          "I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it." - Mark Twain

Comment

I suspect #4 isn't really true. If conditions are better somewhere else there is always a "need" for immigration.

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion View Post
              (a bit "harder" with more "ratatata" sounds).
              They talk more like machine guns?
              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Wezil

An article: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6148244.stm

I think it is fascinating.

I've often thought if because of economic or demographic factors some old family land in Hungary were to ever be abandoned I'd buy it up. Obviously it'd have to get really cheap, since I'm poor, but I wonder if any Bulgarian-Americans had any similar thoughts about the "old country". With the rise of telecommuting, how cool would it be to reclaim some old ancestral place in some ancient European village and hook up some satellite Internet and do your web design or what have you.
                Captain of Team Apolyton - ISDG 2012

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin View Post
                  They talk more like machine guns?
                  Quite. I can't find a good clip of Bulgarian, but here's some Macedonian.
                  They're very similar. The first 20 seconds are enough to get the idea.

Comment

It's Borat!
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

And his Scouse cousin.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Alien abductions.
                        “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                        "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Well they look prime specimens of humanity that undergo anal probing.
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                            I suspect #4 isn't really true. If conditions are better somewhere else there is always a "need" for immigration.
                            Exactly. The simple fact that salaries and standard of living are higher in the west will result in workers moving to the west even if conditions at home aren't so bad.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker View Post
                              4. There is no need for large scale immigration

I suspect you need to study the somewhat crucial difference between immi- and emigration.

Comment

Working...
                              X